Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did Burn Clean Last Night! Looks New! But I need a new gasket!

BGE Convert
BGE Convert Posts: 127
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Alright, after 2 years of egging I finally did a burn clean last night.  All that was black is now white except the daisy wheel which looks a bit rusty and needs to be re-seasoned.  I have the original felt gasket that came with the egg which is now toast (it was pretty much spent before the burn).  Who is my go to guy on the board to get a new gasket? 

Comments

• James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Look for RRP for Rutland. (May have to go to another place, I don't know)
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    For what it's worth, my gasket fried months ago, never replaced it and everything is fine.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • turok
    turok Posts: 28
    I am a new egger. What temp do you get the egg get to for a "burn clean"?
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615

I'm curious as well
    Boom
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Ditto - and for how long?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    For a burn just fill it up with lump, open the bottom vent as wide as it will go, take the Daisy Wheel off and just let it go.  It will go past 700 and just let it run until it burns itself out.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    +1, but in most cases it will go way past 700*.  The last one I did buried my 1000* Tel-Tru and the Rutland/Ultra Copper combo held up with no problems.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • BeauPNS
    BeauPNS Posts: 15
    I bought my nomex gasket with adhesive already on it on amazon for a good price especially if your a prime member you get free 2 day shipping
  • turok
    turok Posts: 28
    thanks for the tip.
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    IMO the Rutland Replacement Stove Gasket Kit 7 Ft. x 5/8 " 2000 Deg. is the best option.  Ace Hardware has it.  It's Ace# 46634 or you can get it from Amazon. 
  • ducksbuddy
    ducksbuddy Posts: 56
    i agree go rutland
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346

I have been gasketless since I baked my first pizza a month ago. No problems at all, but I must ask, will the rutland cement that it comes with be good enough to adhere to the ceramic? I dont like the fast that the ultra copper is only rated to 700 degrees.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the gasket adhesive (the silicone, i mean) never sees 700.  certainly not for a long enough period to fail.

it's insulated by the ceramic and gasket. 

the rutland ceramic is rated to 2000 i think, but it is waterbased, and i personally found difficulty in getting it to cure and hold.  mine cleaved off cleanly from the rim less than six months after.  i think the ceramic wicks the water from the cement.  and the water is req'd to cure.  it's designed for use on cast iron (which is non absorbent).
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346

@stike

so high heat sylicone? or copper stuff?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• stike
    omfg...:))
    permatex high heat copper.

but check whether it voids your warranty. i'm just relating what a lot of folks have done, incl myself.

• BGE Convert

Thanks for all the comments on my topic.  I have already reached out to RRP and the gasket is in the mail.  Just to let you know, RRP's price is significantly cheaper then the Nomex gasket that you can get on Amazon.  He is recommending the use of Permatex Ultra Copper as the adhesive.  Although Stike's comment about warranty is valid....however (although I have never used this adhesive) how would BGE ever know??

As for the burn clean,  I just filled up the fire ring with lump and took off the daisy wheel and put the air vent all the way open.  Just let it rip (with the lid closed obviously).  The needle on my thermometer got over 700 but did not get buried, but as stated all that was black is now white.

I left my porcelain grate inside with the daisy wheel on top.  Mistake on my part... as the porcelain coating is ruined and there is slight indentation in the grate where the daisy wheel was sitting.  Oh well....time for me to get that CI grid from Cray Court.   

• stike
    let's say your base cracks, as some have.... dealer says "great, bring me the base so we can get this resolved for you". or maybe he wants a pic (some have been asking for photos lately).  just saying, by all accounts it seems to void the warranty.  it's up to you whether you come clean when the time comes.

not saying i agree with it or am taking a side.  but just realize that under the warranty out there now, even using an after market hi-airflow fire grate will void the warranty.

• BGE Convert

Stike I agree with your comment about the warranty or those things that void the warranty.  I just think if it is significant enough you could make sure that this never becomes an issue....take that to mean whatever anyone wants it to mean...

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Don't know how they could hold what adhesive you use against you if they do not provide one when they send you a new gasket under warranty. Especially when the gasket is typically not the issue, the adhesive is the failure point for most new gaskets coming off.
  • stike
    edited June 2012
    gasket is warranted for a year.  thereafter they don't need to send you one. it has always been a maintenance item.  ...something you would expect to replace eventually.  and their instructions name 3M's Super-77 cement by name.  unless you have a self-adhesive BGE gasket.

my point is that, if they wanted to, they could point at the higher-temp gasket and the higher temp adhesive and say that it is non-BGE, and that it's intended to permit someone to take the egg to higher temps than may be intended.  which is the logical reason they don't want you modifying the firebox or using a souped-up fire-grate (non-BGE).

rutland and silicone might be a better thing for those who have it, but BGE certainly gets to draw a line in the sand and say what is and isn't an ok modification.  and you'd certainly be right to assert your way of thinking.  but it's up to them in the end. 

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    not saying i agree with it or am taking a side.  but just realize that under the warranty out there now, even using an after market hi-airflow fire grate will void the warranty.
    Only if you bought your Egg after they changed the terms, of course.

The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    yep.
    it's a fest.  up hear anyway.  dealers don't know the warranty, give you a hard time if it's something you bought at a different dealer (now defunct).  better to skip the dealer altogether and talk to your distributor.  they make the call re: warranty anyway (around here)
  • BGE4Life
    BGE4Life Posts: 34
    I see alot about clean burns on here but have never done it in 3 years.  Is it really necessary? how long does it take to make it all white?  Does the whole egg inside turn back to white?
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    Sorry guys  , but anyone not smart enough to return there equipment to stock form before having warranty work done is not going to get it done. This is not just the egg.
  • BGE Convert
    BGE4Life, a clean burn is not necessary in that it makes your BGE work better per se.  However, at times a lot of soot/ash can build up on the sides etc. and it just does not look as appealing to some.  It just depends on your personality.  Do you like to get a fresh start every summer (although I grill outside in all forms of weather)?  As for the burn clean itself, like I said, I fill up the fire ring with lump; light it up and let it go full blast (bottom air vent wide open and no daisy wheel on top) until the lump burns itself out.  After cooling down I knocked all the ash clung to the sides etc. into the ash pit and emptied out the firebox.  The downside to this is if you don't keep any midgrade lump around, you may have to waste some lump that you would use for your normal cooks.  I find Royal Oak to be reasonably priced and so I was not too turned off by the wasted lump from my burn clean.  Also, my burn clean disntegrated the old felt gasket on my BGE.  What was left of the gasket was akin to burnt up crusted food, so it was easy to scrape off. 
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    BGE4Life, I've never done one in 11 years.  I figure you can have it look black on the inside all the time, or once in a while you can have it look close to white for a while before it turns black again.  To each his own, but I'd rather have a gasket than a "clean" cooker.
    The Naked Whiz