Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long does your lump last?

TN_Egger
TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
About how many cooks can you get from a 20 lb bag of BGE lump?
Signal Mountain, TN

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

I bought 20 8.8 bags of RO on April 12th.  I have 5 left, and have cooked on an XL and a Lge at least once a day for (scratches head) 69 days. 

That is 1.9 pounds a day, or close to 10 days per 20 pound bag.

Now, let me tell you about train A leaves the station traveling at 15 MPH, train B leaves the same station 1 hour later, and is traveling at 25 miles per hour............

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Depends on how long you cook and at what temp. At 250 is will last a lot longer than 650. But 650 are generally for shorter cooks. So it kinda depends.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    On average, I expect to use a little more than 1 pound of lump per cook, no matter what the lump.

But its a pretty meaningless average. If I pre-heat a platesetter and pizza stone to 450F to bake bread, most of a full fire box of lump will be gone after i cook a single loaf. If I'm cooking at 250, I'd expect the same amount to cook some ribs, followed by some chicken, followed by some hot dogs.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167

As mentioned above-too many variables to even venture a guess.  Kinda like, how much gas/electric does your stove use in a week?  If the concern is running out of lump, stock a reserve.  I posted a topic a while ago trying to figure out the most cost effective burn rate/Lb lump/$ spent.  Too hard to quantify other than a high $ quick burn is about the worst you could buy.  But perhaps someone has kept their data and that is better than speculation.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Does anyone find the lump reducer ring or angle brackets from CGS really help when cooking on an XL BGE. I am seriously contemplating purchasing both of them. 
  • Santana
    Santana Posts: 58
    I'm not sure but I've heard that if it lasts over 4 hours, I should call my doctor.

• Stoater
    lol yie daft arse.
  • lol yie daft arse.

aye Jimmie
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Does anyone find the lump reducer ring or angle brackets from CGS really help when cooking on an XL BGE. I am seriously contemplating purchasing both of them. 
    I cook frequently with the Angl-Z so half the XL is direct and indirect.  I also use a ring, but I won't attest to the fact that it actually saves any lump.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mudhole
    Mudhole Posts: 26
    Depending on cook temps and times, I average an 8.8lb bag of RO, 5-7 days, I cook at least once a day(dinner).
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    I have been using the XL a lot which is great.  I go through a lot less lump than I did charcoal on the Weber, that I know.  It seems the BGE is much more efficient and the family loves the food off of it. :)
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Stoater
    Thanks doc, my lump seems to be burning real quick these days, and I have tried a few different brands, I am wondering if it is because my gasket is fried and there is oxygen seeping into the egg even after I shut her down, I am also still contemplating putting a gasket in the ceramic cap, if I could only snuff the fire out quicker I think my lump would last longer. Hehe.sorry couldn't help laugh there.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Gaskets on both mine have been toast for a long time.

• tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    If your lump last longer than 4 hours then you should consulte your physician! ;))
  • teddyg
    teddyg Posts: 4
    Until the swelling goes down.....