Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elk.

Options
GrannyX4
GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have discovered my new favorite food. Elk! While we were away I had elk filet, elk chop and an elk patty melt. Where would I find elk in central Florida? And if I can find it how would I cook it?
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    If you find a good way to cook it, please post. I was given some elk steaks a while back, but they were nothing like deer meat. Very tough and not a great flavor.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    The elk I had was so tender that I could cut it with a fork. It was recommended to have it rare to medium rare.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    old cook, like five or  six years old.
    elk steak, rib eye (was a leftover).  pan seared it along with some polenta.  rarer the better. 

on the plate
    not the best pics.  but who cares.  green beans and garlic mashed, too
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Why in the skillet and not on the grill?
  • MacKay52
    MacKay52 Posts: 74
    Options
    There is a great recipe on the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation website, it includes a Cabernet Sauvignon Demiglaze. I haven't tried it on an egg, but it is excellent. Just google it.
  • stike
    Options
    i was reheating, and was more interested in a quick sear (lot of surface area) and not so much about cooking thru (it was reheated from leftovers).  so it went on cold, got a quick sear.

i like searing steaks on the egg sometimes, in a pan.  lots of surface area and quick browning. 
    tenderloin (same era of pics, many moons ago)

plus you can make a pan sauced from the schmutz left in the pan
    hahhahaha

• GrannyX4
    Options
    Mackay, thanks. I found the web site and that is the sauce I had with the fillet . Now I have to find elk in central Florida. Any ideas where?

Stike, cast iron is my friend when I cook steaks. I was just wondering why you did it. Because we can and variety is the spice of life. I'm on a quest to find elk in Florida.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    You might be forced to check out the zoo! Good luck GrannyX4.
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Thanks brownie. Now that's funny. I think you're right but I'm going to give it a try. I just remembered I was served tempura bacon with the elk. Soooooooo good. Now I can do the bacon and next week I will get on the phone to find the elk. ;;)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Alligator tastes just like elk....or is it chicken. I get those two confused. :-) Heck that Demi glaze would probably make old saddle leather taste good. :D Good to see to back granny. Glad you had a great time out west
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Thanks Joan. Yes, it's good to be home to the heat and humidity. I may end up using cow and the Demi glaze and pretend it's elk. ;;)
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    I found elk at Petty's meat market in Lngwood. One happy girl here. Next week will be fun. I'll post results and I'm hoping it's as good as I had in WY.
  • Austin  Egghead
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Go for it girl :\"> will be waiting for the results
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Looking for some new ideas I stumbled across this and immediately thought of you.
    imageimage
  • GrannyX4
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Thanks for thinking of me and my elk quest. By the time I got to the meat market the elk was gone. When I was chatting with the butcher about how it should be cooked he told me that I would be better off going to a restaurant that serves elk and let them cook it. At $40 a pound I think it might be a good plan. Sigh!
  • stike
    Options
    and for some reason you let him convince you you weren't capable of cooking it?  he's assuming that because it is dso lean, and not injected with solution (like pork often is, for example), that you'll overcook it and find it dry like many probably do.

so nod politely, and order some, and cook it any of the ways people suggested.  i'll say again, the only thing that dries out meat is overcooking.  so don't over cook it.  130-145 max

you can do it.  there's no magic in all this.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Granny,  try this web site for Elk http://www.elkusa.com/Buy_elk_meat_gift_packs.html.  There is also several ranches in CO that farms elk and sell the meat.  I am sure there are other sources that sell packaged deals for less than quoted $40.00/lb.  
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    I love Elk, too! I can usually only find it when we travel out west .  Thankfully, more and more restaurants are starting to serve game.  I've been trying to find a good source for bison & elk here in central florida.  

Has anyone had luck ordering meat online?  There are several vendors that will ship wild game, but I've never ordered meat online -- would love to hear some of your experiences. 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.