Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Impromptu Pizza Night

Mighty_Quinn
Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I wasnt planning on doing pizzas tonight, but I found a double batch of dough that I made last week and forgot about...happens quite a bit around here actually because I always have containers of dough in the fridge at different stages of fermentation. This stuff ended up getting a 6 day fermentation...I was wondering how much life would be left in the yeast. Dough is just bread flour, sourdough starter, water and salt...done at 750ish with stone on top of adjustable rig with another stone on the three green feet so it was way up in the dome...

Pepperoni and fresh mozz for the kiddos...

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Prosciutto, sautéed Swiss chard, fresh garlic and fresh mozz for mom and dad

And a bottom shot for those that like that sort of thing...

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Totally cool.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

MQ,

Sweet! I use the same rig except I was fortunate enough to knock my platesetter off the table and break a leg off. Cut off the other two with an angle grinder

:D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Very nice. I try to keep some homemade dough in the freezer at all times.
  • Mthomp13
    Mthomp13 Posts: 24
    Awesome, thanks for sharing. We are on a pizza kick.
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271

Hey Mighty

Pizza looks great.  How do you get it so round?  How do you roll it? I have a lot tearn.

Dan

• Mighty_Quinn
    Dan- I start with the dough ball on a floured board or piece of parchment and press it down with my fingertips into a round disc and pretty much stretch it by hand into the thickness I'm looking for by continuously rotating the dough in my hands letting the weight of the dough pull itself down if that makes any sense....no rolling.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    MQ--did you cook both at same time?  Sounds like it.  Don't have adj rig, but about to pull the trigger.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    No...pepperoni one was first. The bottom stone is an indirect piece. The three feet give some airspace between the two stones so the stone you cook on isn't getting the intense heat from the indirect stone transferred to it.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    @MQ, that is the crust I am aspiring to make. Looks great.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Alligator
    Alligator Posts: 35
    Good looking pizza, what brand of bread flour did you use?

I see in the one pic you are using parchment paper.  Do you use that to get the pizza on the peel or do you load the pizza with the parchment onto the stone?

I tried parchment once with bad results.  Premade the pizza on the parchment, then using the pizza peel I put the parchment onto the stone.  Was not able to get the parchment out from under the pizza quick enough and *poof* I had little bits of charred paper swirling all around my pizza.

Now I just make the pizza on the granite counter and drag it onto the peel, or make it right on the peel.  I rub some flour into the peel before I use it, that helps it to slide easy.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Alligator- I use King Arthur bread flour...

If I'm doing multiple pizzas, I build them on parchment and load the whole thing (parchment too) onto the hot stone. After about a minute, the paper slides right out and only the edges of the paper sometimes scorch. It helps to trim the paper close of the edge of the crust....nothing like a poof of charred paper flying around you describe.. I build on the parchment so I can get other pies ready while one is cooking...I only have one peel. If I'm only making one pie, which is pretty much never, I would build it right on the floured peel and slide it right on the hot stone.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Oh....@Alligator- nice job on your pies...I saw the pics in your thread but didn't comment. It looks like you got it figured out! :-c
  • Alligator
    I think one of my mistakes was I had way to large of parchment paper.  It was a square piece and not cut round.  What do you use to yank out the parchment, tongs?
  • Airwolf
    Airwolf Posts: 76
    I use something to hold the pizza sort of in place, and just pull it out with my hands.  There is also no need to try and be a magician and pull it like you are yanking a table cloth off a fully set up table.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    I lift the edge of the crust up with the peel and pull the paper out with my hands, but I imagine tongs would work.
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    I am on the fence to get a super peel to correct this problem. Importing it to Canada doubles the price.  

I am going to try the parchment paper technique first. 

Quebec - Canada
  • Alligator
    I am on the fence to get a super peel to correct this problem. Importing it to Canada doubles the price.  

I am going to try the parchment paper technique first. 

If you have a wooden peel, try rubbing some flour into the peel.  This makes it slide nicely for me.
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    I found a store who could ship it to me for cheap. 
    http://spoonandwhisk.com/main/index.php  They do ship to Canada if you call them. Ask for Sheryl. 

I didn't have a peel. I plan on doing a Margherita pizza night saturday without a peel using parchment paper. We will see how it goes lol. 
    Quebec - Canada