Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooked 15 burgers at once - smoke show

Canuck_Smoker
Canuck_Smoker Posts: 8
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

I had some family over for my daughter's birthday party and cooked 15 burgers.   I thought I was going to smoke out my neighbours.   I was cooking on LBGE direct at around 500-550.   Cooked about 5 minutes a side, the dripping from the grease on the coals created a massive of white smoke.

They tasted great but my neighbours are going to hate me?

LBGE, Napolean 450

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i go lower temps for large amount of burgers.  400.  at higher temps, with the lid open so long for flipping that many, the fire gets raging, and the fat flaring just can get out of hand
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I had a similar instance last night with some Jerk marinaded Chicken. about a dozen drums, and 6 thighs on 2 levels direct.
    I had to take 1/2 off , go just raised direct, and turn the grate (to balance the hot spots, in addition to flipping the meat.
    Gonna try the lower temps on big cooks.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I had a lot of smoke from korean bbq style beef short ribs and had same issue. I let it go so hot flare ups made it look like I was under attack from ninja's (smoke bomb hahaha). I choked it down to about 350-400 and had no issues.

However, I think every time I use my egg my neighbors hate me because of the smell it gives off.
  • lol, I think my neighbours may hate me, but some of the smells coming off the egg are amazing.   This was my first really big cook, usually cooking for me and wife and sometimes another couple.
    LBGE, Napolean 450
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the smoke from my egg ALWAYS goes horizontal, right over the neighbor's fence into their patio area.

oooops.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    If they complain. Tell them you understand, and it will stop since you can't have the egg, and the couple Llama's you wanted to bring in as pets.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • You can always give them a few samples and then they will understand why you do what you do....
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    My
    the smoke from my egg ALWAYS goes horizontal, right over the neighbor's fence into their patio area.

oooops.
    My egg is close to my children's mini sandbox in a fenced in patio (to keep our dogs at bay), so I have a mini fan that I use to blow smoke other direction. Just happens the other direction is directly into my neighbors yard, ooops.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I had some family over for my daughter's birthday party and cooked 15 burgers.   I thought I was going to smoke out my neighbours.   I was cooking on LBGE direct at around 500-550.   Cooked about 5 minutes a side, the dripping from the grease on the coals created a massive of white smoke.

Only when you don't invite them.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• mrjwhit
    mrjwhit Posts: 83
    Planning to smoke out my entire n'hood when I roll my large egg out for fathers day. I'm cooking everything I can find. Even the stray animals are scared.
    Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com
  • Scott P
    Scott P Posts: 22
    Get a set of grill grates. They stop a lot go the grease from hitting the coals and you will not get smoked out.

http://www.buygrillgrate.com/
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    I have noticed the white smoke as well. It can get crazy, but that's just how it goes. I would not worry about it.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Get a set of grill grates. They stop a lot go the grease from hitting the coals and you will not get smoked out.

http://www.buygrillgrate.com/
    You beat me to it Scott.  I love Grill Grates.  They take 70% (guestimate)of the grease and sizzle it on the tracks.
  • Gravytrain84
    Gravytrain84 Posts: 322

Hate you!? He should be thanking you for the great aroma lol