Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal Setup Tinkering

AD18
AD18 Posts: 209
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Been fiddling with charcoal setup last few low and slows.  Appears as if left over charcoal from previous cooks does not burn as hot as fresh charcoal, seems to make sense.  I've noticed that during preheat/startup the fire appears to head to the bottom of the firebox to burn.  So is it best to try and get the fresh stuff near the bottom with old stuff on top, mix it up, or put fresh stuff on top and leave the old stuff on the bottom.  My temps haven't been all over the place, just aiming for wee bit better consistency.  Thnx.
Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
Cobourg, Ontario

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Lots of guys (and gals) on here give this a lot of thought.  I just clean out the fire grate real good and fill to my desired level and light.

For low and slow I try to get it into a rough pyramid and light it only at the top and let it burn downward.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570

For low and slow I try to get it into a rough pyramid and light it only at the top and let it burn downward.
    I do the opposite.  A little less in the center and light from the bottom.  It ensures that some center air holes will always be open and no worries about the fire going out in low and slow.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    @Ragtop99 pretty sure I got that lighting from the top idea from the DigiQ manual.  You got the air blowing from the bottom from the viper, so I guess that works for their system.