Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke Salmon - 1st Attempt

jojobugay
jojobugay Posts: 28
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Want to confirm recipe temp and time for my 1st attempt at smoking salmon. Recommended dome temp at 180-220 degrees F for 1 hr per 1 inch thickness. Is this the way to go?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Your set-up is fine-I smoke (in your temp range) til 140*F in the thickest part of the fillet.  Usually around 50-65 mins depending on thickness.  Key for me is the prep work-brining and then forced air-drying to form the pellicle.  Enjoy-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jojobugay
    @lousubcap

Thanks and appreciate the confirmation. Currently force air drying the salmon now & can't wait to place it in the EGG. Planning on throwing pecan a couple of pecan wood chunks - good or bad idea?
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    I have used pecan. Alder and maple are good too. 

I like to keep the dome temp as low as possible, and you can even put a pan of ice on the platesetter to keep temps down longer--if you want the fish to soak up more smoke flavor, which I always do. 

• jojobugay
    @horseflesh

What temp do you have the dome & how long for a 2 lb salmon? Thanks
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Some folks here talk about knowing when there salmon is finished due to the fat known as albumen extracting to the surface of the fillet. It appears as a white ooze. I'm not sure if this applies to a brined fillet though. Hopefully others more experienced with the ooze method can detail this information better than me.
  • lousubcap

You will have plenty of albumen ooze as you approach 140-I go by temp but even with brining I always see the ooze.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Generally my dome stabilizes around 200F. With an ice pan it is possible to keep it lower, maybe 180F, for a while before it creeps up. 

For a single 2 lb piece of fish I guess I would expect something like a 2 hour cook, but that is just a guess. I always cut my fillets into thirds, and cook 3-4 lbs total. I mean, if you're gonna do it... it's about the same work to cook more as less. :)

With 4 lbs of fish, the smallest possible fire, and a pan of ice (that becomes a pan of water) I have had a 3.5-4 lb cook take more than 5 hours. I cook until the thickest part of the biggest piece is 150F. This makes the thinner parts much more well done, but it all comes out agreeable to me. 

Keep your temps low, don't go too far away, and keep your Thermapen handy or use a remote-read probe. It will work out. As long as you don't nuke the fish it's a pretty easy cook. 

Be sure to let the fish cool to room temp before refrigerating, OR refrigerate UNCOVERED until cool. Warm fish in a covered vessel gets steamy and mushy.

• Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Do mine on a cedar plank. Could use alder plank but never have yet. Cook mine at about 375 direct till internal reaches 135 on thickest part. Takes around 30 minutes. Turns out great every time. Did the last one with maple syrup brushed on then generous coating of Dizzy Pig Raging River. Of course, this is only one way to cook it. 
  • jojobugay
    I would like to thank everyone for providing tips yesterday on smoking salmon. 1st attempt was a success. The fam enjoyed it w/ garlic mash & grilled asparagus. image
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Great post I might try that below 140 for more time after brining to reduce albumin on an experiment soon. Being new to some of this what is forced air drying? What are you using for that? Thanks.
  • lousubcap
    Great post I might try that below 140 for more time after brining to reduce albumin on an experiment soon. Being new to some of this what is forced air drying? What are you using for that? Thanks.
    Forced air drying is a means to form the pellicle on the fish. A few, two +/- hours with a fanned cooled air supply will create a dried surface that helps the smoke adhere.  google will do  a much better job.
  • Newportlocal
    Actually tried some google first. Thank you for your response. Guess I can use an electric fan like Alton used for Jerky or a food dehydrator if it had a fan.
  • lousubcap
    edited June 2012
    Actually tried some google first. Thank you for your response. Guess I can use an electric fan like Alton used for Jerky or a food dehydrator if it had a fan.
    Nothing fancy-just something to move air. FWIW-I place a ziploc bag of ice under the fish just to hold the temp down til I am happy.  And then off to the smoker. All good-enjoy!
  • Newportlocal
    Nothing fancy-just something to move air. FWIW-I place a ziploc bag of ice under the fish just to hold the temp down til I am happy.  And then off to the smoker. All good-enjoy!

Thanks