Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cover

Boileregger
Boileregger Posts: 614
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm sitting here watching my L BGE get soaked in a torrential downpour and thinking I should get a cover to prolong the life of the side shelves mostly. Don't want to spend the arm and leg that BGE is asking for, so I found this site. Anybody have any experience with this cover? Does the ventilation in the official cover actually do anything?

http://www.the-cover-store.com/grill_brand_page.aspx?brand=Big Green Egg

Thanks.

Comments

• Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    No experience with that company but do have the BGE cover for my XL with table and will pay the money again to replace it when the time comes! Well worth the extra money. Great quality and my bge guy told me they are using a better material from years ago. Go Boilers!!
  • chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    I have a really big table so just bought the dome cover for a built in cant wait for it to come in should be here by friday
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    I have the BGE XL cover and it's well made. Even has a heat vent built into it if you put it on a little warm.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    Sgt93 how hot is your egg when you put your cover on? Just wondering.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I have had a BGE cover for four years now and it shows no sign of stopping. Worth every penny I paid for it.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 how hot is your egg when you put your cover on? Just wondering.
    I put it on when the temp is below 200 after cooking
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    So is the vent for heat? I thought it was to prevent mold. If that's the case, I'll go for a cheaper one cause I can wait for it to cool off.

Boiler up Jrod!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I have a BGE cover I bought about 3 yrs ago.  Have had no problems with the cover
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Sgt93
    So is the vent for heat? I thought it was to prevent mold. If that's the case, I'll go for a cheaper one cause I can wait for it to cool off.

Boiler up Jrod!
    I'm sure it does a little of both. For my Webers, I went with the cheaper covers and they didn't last for crap. Of course I am in IL where we get "the seasons".  I bought the better covers and they are OLD and still going.  The BGE cover is great quality.  My dealer charged me around 60 bucks for the XL cover. Well worth it.
  • Sgt93
    Also remember that these BGE's are obviously not cheap.  A few bucks now will help to keep her looking good if she is in the elements.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    edited June 2012
    I just use a cheap one from Lowes that I used for my bullet smoker before I got the egg. I also used that minwax helmsman finish on my side tables just to prolong their life a little and protect from stains.
  • Sgt93
    I just use a cheap one from Lowes that I used for my bullet smoker before I got the egg. I also used that minwax helmsman finish on my side tables just to prolong their life a little and protect from stains.
    Good idea on the miniwax. I think I stained the wings on the first cook though.