Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken Plate Setter

The_Grill_Sergeant
The_Grill_Sergeant Posts: 87
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I know this is likely a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway...

Is there any way to repair a broken plate setter? I was cleaning mind, down on the ground, and when I tipped one side up to scrape off the char, it slipped and was just high enough to break when it hit the deck. The break is clean.

Is there a high-heat glue out there, or am I stuck buying a new one?

Sarge
Egg Head in Klamath Falls, Oregon

Comments

• WoodsDog
    WoodsDog Posts: 48
    I'd be interested in this.  

I broke one of the legs off of my plate setter.  Did something stupid.

I went to home depot, got some high heat cement stuff that is supposed to be used with bricks and fireplaces.  I used it, fired it.  It seems ok.  I think it would have been ok, if I was careful, if I just used it with low heat cooks.  The first time I did pizza's with it, the next day I broke down the egg and it came apart where I cemented it clean, like nothing was ever on there. 

I will follow to see what other's say
  • I had the same thing happen to me.  I am worried about using glues and cements with the possibility of chemicals leaching into the ceramic.  I have a possible solution and I plan on working on this weekend.  Will report back if I have success.
    Lucky to have a LG Egg My Blog: http://manvsgrill.blogspot.com/
  • Read what I did in this thread:  

I've done 3-4 cooks w/ it since I made that post, and it still seems to be holding.  I think the "bake out" that I did at first helped to cure the mortar, as well as (hopefully) drive off any unwanted vapors during that time, INSTEAD of during other times (like when I'm cooking food)!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    A few months ago, I purchased a Primo Oval XL that had been dropped before it was ever fired. The bottom was broken through in numerous spots and I had to strap the bottom to keep it from falling apart when transporting. Rather than replacing the entire bottom section, I tried a fix. I used a refractory patch called Greenpatch-421 from Harbison-Walker Refractories Companies.  The patch worked like a charm and it is still holding after several low and slow as well as a couple of very high temp cooks.

After a few cooks in the repaired cooker, the fire box split in half. I fixed it as well with the Greenpatch-421.

The Fire box in my LBGE broke years ago. I had tried several repairs in the past with only short term success.  After my success in repairing the Primo, I repaired the Eggs parts with  the Greenpatch-421. So far so good.

It also worked in repairing the bottom on my Dome Grill.

Greenpatch-421 is a great product!

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    edited June 2012
    I did some research on JB weld. While it seems like the only ideal thing to use it is only rated up to temps 500 for a constant temp and 600 for burst temp up to 10 minutes. That is coming right from the FAQ's on the website.

I have not used it, but putting JB weld on a plate setter that is in very direct contact with the coals might not hold up, but it might be worth trying since it already is broken and is worth trying to fix it for cheap.

I am sure others can say if jb weld holds up on the plate setter. I just wanted to let you know what their website said.
  • billybon
    Greenpatch-421 is rated to 3,200 F.
  • I will check out the Greenpatch. Thanks!
    Lucky to have a LG Egg My Blog: http://manvsgrill.blogspot.com/
  • WoodsDog
    WoodsDog Posts: 48
    Where did you get Greenpatch?  From the searching i've done on the net, it's cheaper to buy a new plate setter than use greenpatch
  • billybon
    I purchased a 15 pound pail of Greenpatch-421 in FL from ANH
    Refractories, 3225 Reynolds Road, Lakeland, Fl 33803. They will ship to
    all parts of the country. I paid less than $40 with shipping

Tel:863-669-1040

My original
    contact was Fred Gerdom at FGerdom@ANHRefratories.com.

You won't require very much of the material to fix the plate setter. Save the rest for other repairs.

• How is Greenpatch different from say, Rutland Refractory Cement? 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • billybon
    I can't say for sure. I do know that Greenpatch is rated at 3,200F and the Rutland product at 2,200F. I think RRC is a castable product where the GP is high aluminua thick patching mortar. You can look up the Tech Data sheets for both and compare.
  • Well, I just went ahead and got a new one - eBay FTW!  So now I can continue cooking indirect, and experiment with repairing the old one.  One of the aforementioned patching mortars should do the trick.

As for tonight, I've got a tri tip smothered in Grill Mates Cowboy Rub.  To the Egg!
    Egg Head in Klamath Falls, Oregon
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I kicked a leg off my large platesetter a couple years ago and jb weld has held up great through pizzas and everything. Tried it to put my small firebox back together and results not so good. 2 test burns and it failed. i do my pizzas around 550 so the ratings are probably about right.
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    My platesetter split in half last summer.  JB Weld holds well up until about 450F, then it gives up.  I've re-glued it 3-4 times.  I still use the repaired plate setter for brisket, ribs, etc - i.e. anything under 350F.  For pizzas, I just use refractory bricks.  Eventually I'll replace the platesetter (or better, scrap it and get an adjustable rig!)
    Mamaroneck