Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a good pork butt recipe

Options
impag10
impag10 Posts: 66
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
will be cooking a bone in shoulder probably about 8-10 pounds, but have not done it in a few years.  Should I put it straight on the grate or in a V-rack? 

Comments

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I have a very simple recipe using store bought ingredients that I and others I have served enjoy.

Basically just rub with Bad Byron's Butt Rub.
    50/50 hickory and apple wood chunks mixed in the lump and a couple on top
    Plate setter legs up with drip pan
    Cooking grid on plate setter, with the butt(s) on the grid
    Dome temp of 250 - 270 for about 1.5 - 2 hrs/pound
    Pull at an internal temp of 190 - 200
    Let rest about 1/2 hour or wrap in fowl and a towl and put in a cooler if you need to hold for a few hours
    Pull by hand or with forks and then mix in George's Original or Hot sauce (around 16 ounces per 5lbs uncooked weight of butt)

I am sure there are as many opinions as there are users on here but this is what works for me. This will give you sort of a NC BBQ with a twist.

Good luck.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I spray the grate with Pam and put the butt right on the grate,.  V rack would be just fine also.  Main thing is have the indirect heat.

ncbbq above has a good plan.
  • impag10
    impag10 Posts: 66
    Options
    Thanks for the tips......should I have the fat side up?
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    People probably go either way with it. I cut the fat off personally and see no ill effect in the flavor because there is plenty of fat in the butt and I want bark on all of the surfaces but this is just personal preference. Some people say fat side up so the fat renders and marinates, others say fat side down to insulate the butt from heat. So basically go with which ever way you want and it will be good.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I do v-rack sitting in a 9.5x13 drip pan on the grate (you can get a foil pan at the grocery store). If you leave the fat on, put it down so anything that does stick to the rack will be fat. Lots of guys trim and it makes sense. I don't but there is plenty of fat in the butt to keep it moist if you do.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX