Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rookie egghead - stabilizing temp

jojobugay
jojobugay Posts: 28
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Had a challenge yesterday stabilizing the temp for a smoke chicken cook.  This is my second time with the EGG and wanted to get some pointers on temp control.  Started the grill by using 1 starter square in the middle.  Initially got the temp @ 250 degrees F and placed the chicken on the grill.  Checked on it after 30 mins. and temp went down to 190 degrees F so I fully opened both the top and bottom vents.  Temp kept going up and down and had a hard time stabilizing.  Any advice would be greatly appreciate.

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    The biggest help for was getting it through my skull that:
    1-those adjustments take time to show the real effect.
    2-putting food and ceramics in egg will drop temp. If it was stable before adding food, don't mess with it.
    3-you can't stabilize if you are opening it to look.
    4- +-15 degree is acceptable on slow cooks. Don't chase.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    It takes time to let it stabilize.  After i start the fire, i usually do not have a stable temp for about 45 minutes.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Put the black top vent in a drawer and leave it there. Now it will be much easer to do.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• rickHP
    rickHP Posts: 49
    I'm very new to the egg too, but seem to have had zero problem with temp stability so far. The biggest factor to me seems to be how well the coals are lit before you close the lid. I've been using 3 starter squares and waiting about 15 minutes.
  • jojobugay
    jojobugay Posts: 28
    Thanks all for the useful tips that I will definitely consider for my next cook.  Kids want me to cook pizza on the EGG this weekend.  Wish me luck and any tips on making tasty thin crust pizza is welcomed.
  • I have found lighting my egg using a torch and a mini propane tank best option.. the kind you connect camping lanterns to, works best. Lights wide area of lump in minutes.. No fuss with electric cords or lighting cubes..
  • Thanks all for the useful tips that I will definitely consider for my next cook.  Kids want me to cook pizza on the EGG this weekend.  Wish me luck and any tips on making tasty thin crust pizza is welcomed.

If you are making your own dough for this weekend, start tomorrow. The good stuff takes at least 24 hrs to rise. Lots of good recipes on here.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Secret to great pizza is making your own dough and not the jiffy mix stuff you find at the grocery store.    Buy the yeast and flour nothing pre-cooked
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE