Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

large got a work out today

Options
Austin  Egghead
Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Braised a 6lb pork butt on the large.  
the set up:
The fire: 
fill to top of fire ring 3 good size chunks of applewood 

The recipe: 
6 pound pork butt quartered 
1 can chipotle in adobo 
2 large onions 
3 large carrots 
1 head of garlic 
2 cups of water with 11/2 tbsp of Better that Bullion 
1 tbsp of Mexican Oregano 
fresh ground pepper to taste 
1 tbsp of Cluck and Squeal AP 

Place quartered pork on grate and sear. While pork searing boil water and dissolve the BthanB, C&S and Mexican oregano 
Place veggie on bottom of clay pot. Place seared meat on veggies, top with the garlic and chipotles and the adobo sauce. Pour water over the meat and place on the egg uncovered for at least 1 hour. Cover and cook until fork tender, about 6 hours hold temp between 325 and 350. 
When cooked remove meat from the pot skim off the grease and then return meat to the pot. 
Tonight serviced with rice and green beans. The rest will be used to make pork enchiladas. 
Pork was very tender, succulent and very tasty 

Sorry I only got the one picture before the phone needed a charge

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe, Joan.  Nice spices.  I love chipotle in adobo.  Until lately, I always had to throw most of the can away, because I usually only use a couple.  But, I found very small cans at a Mexican grocery store that contain about 3 chipotles.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    VI, i just recently found out you can freeze chipotles with the adobo sauce.  My cousin separates each chili on parchment paper and evenly divides the sauces among the peppers, then pops them in the freezer.  When frozen she vac seals them.  Like you, I have always searched out the smallest can to minimizes waste.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    That's great to know.  Thanks!  I'd need to label it good because when I came back in 6 months, I'd have frightening thoughts of what it might be.  :-O

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious