Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt cooking questions.

sandman1970
sandman1970 Posts: 31
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Going to try one this weekend. I do not have a Guru or Stoker yet so that being said any tips for a low and slow cook on a pork butt.

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Fill up the firebox with lump all the way.  Put your wood chunks throughout your lump. Get the fire lit and stabilize it between 225 and 250 dome temp.
     I'm assuming that you have a platesetter or someway to cook indirect.  Put in the pork butt, let the BGE come back to temp, adjust your vents to keep it there and let time and smoke and the BGE do the rest of it.

I'm a sprayer, so after the first 4 hours I will spray with apple juice every hour or so.

You are looking for an IT of 195-200.

• Duganboy
    Goes without saying that you have your rub picked out.  If I have time I rub it down the night before.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647

I generally start mine at about 9-9:30pm and let it go until it comes up to temp - usually  2-4pm the next afternoon.  XL @ ~250-275
  • Fill up the firebox with lump all the way.  Put your wood chunks throughout your lump. Get the fire lit and stabilize it between 225 and 250 dome temp.

I'm assuming that you have a platesetter or someway to cook indirect.  Put in the pork butt, let the BGE come back to temp, adjust your vents to keep it there and let time and smoke and the BGE do the rest of it.

I'm a sprayer, so after the first 4 hours I will spray with apple juice every hour or so.

You are looking for an IT of 195-200.

No platesetter is that going to be a problem. I have been trying to order a Woo2 and Adj Rig from ceramic grill store but they have been out of stock.
  • Duganboy
    You might want to get a shallow aluminum pan, sorta like a cake pan and put the butt in the pan.  The pan will keep the direct heat off of the butt.
  • You might want to get a shallow aluminum pan, sorta like a cake pan and put the butt in the pan.  The pan will keep the direct heat off of the butt.
    Thanks
  • Hey sandman, it's going to be tough without something to deflect the heat. Do you have a pizza stone? We might be ablemtomhelp you rig something up.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hey sandman, it's going to be tough without something to deflect the heat. Do you have a pizza stone? We might be ablemtomhelp you rig something up.
    On order just not here yet.
  • Read Thirdeye's link.

Nice link thanks.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    If you have 2 grates you can set up one on the fire ring, then the drip pan or pizza stone on first grid. Then some bricks to hold up the upper grid with the pork.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    you can raise the grid with bricks, fire bricks or plaine red bricks, either will work, just balance them on the ring and place your grid on top, you can also get a cheap weber grid at home depot in the replacement section

ill see if i can find his post though butts are just too simple. fat
    side down or the bottom gets a crunchy layer, a little too crunchy to
    put back in the pull. heres my minimalist approach, raise the grill.

if
    you are afraid the bottom is going to get too crisp goind direct, slip a
    pan under the butt. the only thing a platesetter or any other ceramic
    type heat mass does during a low and slow is burn more lump during the
    cook.

this link will show how little lump gets burned during a
    low and slow butt cook done direct raised grid, look at the before and
    after pics of the lump, notice how little i started with and how much is
    still left
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/507801/x/p1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • There you go. Listen to Fishless. I knew somebody on here would come through for you.

• Thanks to everyone for the advice I feel better about doing this know.
  • jjmills
    jjmills Posts: 117
    Don't forget the beer!!  It's hard to watch the butt cook without some beer.
     LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Am rubbing my butt and there's a large slab o' fat on it...Don't really want to eat it, but know there's lots of flavor there.  Thinking about slicing it off and laying it across my butt while it smokes.  Comments?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    edited June 2012
    I cut that big layer of fat off myself because I like to have more bark to mix in the finished product. My line of thinking is that I throw away any fat that doesn't render when I am pulling it, so if I left that fat on I would be throwing away all of that bark attached to it. It still seems to taste good to me without it as there is plenty of fat throughout the butt. Certainly not speaking for everyone but that is what I like to do.
  • I cut that big layer of fat off myself because I like to have more bark to mix in the finished product. My line of thinking is that I throw away any fat that doesn't render when I am pulling it, so if I left that fat on I would be throwing away all of that bark attached to it. It still seems to taste good to me without it as there is plenty of fat throughout the butt. Certainly not speaking for everyone but that is what I like to do.
    Thanks I could not help but notice the ECU pirate. We are fans to and live just up the road Little Washington.
  • 8 hrs in everything going great.
  • Shut the dome! :)

If you are looking' you're not cookin!
  • Shut the dome! :) If you are looking' you're not cookin!
    I know but I had to take a pic of my first one. I will do better on the next one no peeking.
  • Shut the dome! :) If you are looking' you're not cookin!
    I know but I had to take a pic of my first one. I will do better on the next one no peeking.

i know. just busting you a little. Looks great.