Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have You Ever Injected a Pork Butt?

Cullum
Cullum Posts: 215
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Have you done it with a pork butt and does it make any difference?

Comments

• It does make a difference but if you think about it, it's not needed. You can add the exact same flavor and moisture to the butt after you pull it (hence the vinegar sauce that many use to finish a butt). It's really more of a pain than it's worth

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • plus, when you inject, there are always "veins" of whatever flavor you use to inject. it's very uneven. If you do it after you pull, every bite is the same as it should be.

• Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Great point. Thanks!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i do it occassionally with a vinegar sauce injection. i do it in the egg when the butts up to 170/180 internal, when its hot it takes more of   the injection and in the egg theres no mess to worry about
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576

I injected a boston butt once.... (insert joke)

It did add some good flavor, but was inconsistent.  It made a HUGE mess and most seemed to come out into the drip pan.  IF I did it again, I would wrap the butt in some kind of plastic-y wrap first and spread more evenly.  Shoulder has so much moisture already, IMO.  I will try brining one one day but that I think is also unnecessary.

Make sure a finishing sauce is smooth and pretty (if that is your thing).  Seen some pulled pork in comps that LOOKS like it has lumpy, dull orange gravy on it.

• I injected a boston butt once.... (insert joke)

It did add some good flavor, but was inconsistent.  It made a HUGE mess and most seemed to come out into the drip pan.  IF I did it again, I would wrap the butt in some kind of plastic-y wrap first and spread more evenly.  Shoulder has so much moisture already, IMO.  I will try brining one one day but that I think is also unnecessary.

Make sure a finishing sauce is smooth and pretty (if that is your thing).  Seen some pulled pork in comps that LOOKS like it has lumpy, dull orange gravy on it.

Good call. My finishing sauce is almost clear (vinegar, crystal hot sauce, sugar, pepper)
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    I did the last one I cooked.   I will not again.     Killed the meat taste I was looking for.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • tmackie
    tmackie Posts: 67
    I use Moe Cason's (sp) injection. He's a BGE user and Grand Champion who's been on BBQ Pitmasters and won and had a narrow 0.6 point loss to 2010 World Champion Melissa Cookston last night.

His is Coca-Cola, Jerk Seasoning Paste and what he calls Ham Paste which is a reduced and intensified pork stock. He mixes the two pastes with the Coke then strains before injecting. It does add some flavor if done properly.

I think the key is to inject the butt in the Cryovac packaging and let it sit overnight before opening and applying a dry rub. Doesn't make a huge difference but I can tell the difference and it both adds flavor and tenderizes due to the highly acidic nature of the cola.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I use Butcher BBQ's pork injection and instead of mixing with water I use Dr. Pepper.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I bought Myron Mixon's first cookbook and I followed  his injection to the letter.  I could not tell a bit of difference in the finished product.
  • fish8503
    fish8503 Posts: 30
    I have injected with different things and could not tell any difference.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    For those who inject before the meat goes ont he BGE, cover it with a plastic wrap and then inject through the wrap.  Keeps the stray injection confined and much easier to clean-up.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.