Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fire went out on long cook

Options
mkatzmd
mkatzmd Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
On my first overnight cook the $*#)@& fire went out. Need some basic advice. Looked at other similar threads and based on them think I'm going to toss the meat but question whether that's really necessary based on the following specific scenario:
Large egg, 2x 6.5 pound butts
Went on about 7pm at dome temp 250 or so
saw internal temp at 100+ at about 10pm when I went to bed
up at 3:30 to check; fire out, dome temp at 0.... internal temp 127, meat warm and had a nice crust on it
by the time I got fire back up, internal temp down to 121 at about 5; it's low point
now internal back at 173 at the stall
Not sure how long the meat was below 140, or if it ever got there the first time but assume it got close since I saw it at 127 after the fire went out
It's still going but should I toss the meat? People eating include kids.... I am planning to, or perhaps just saving it for me and not feeding others.
thoughts?

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    When all else fails, go by smell !!!

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    wouldn't smell in that amount of time....
    like MDB said, fire likely didn't go out the instant mkatzmd went to bed.

also, i've never understood how a chunk of meat could be RE-infected with bacteria after a fire goes out.  the bacteria's been in a hostile environment, certainly been killed off (the bacteria we're worried about is generally on the exterior, unless it's a de-boned roast).

but you gotta do what you only feel comfortable doing.  online voting isn't a good way to decide these things
    :)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The meat is fine. I have done this dozens of times when learning. It is perfectly safe and you should finish the cook and serve it. No way a few hours below temp in an egg will result in spoilage.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • mkatzmd
    Options
    Thanks guys. Wasn't looking for online voting as much as your expert advice. If you go by smell I'd be eating this all day long! Thanks again I really appreciate your taking the time to respond.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Stike is right. You have to do what you are comfortable with so let that be your guide. FWIW, I would eat it without hesitation and I'm sure he would too
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

stike would eat it if the fire went out wednesday

>:D<

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

stike would eat it if the fire went out wednesday

>:D<

That's why I felt safe saying it :))

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Thanks guys. Wasn't looking for online voting as much as your expert advice. If you go by smell I'd be eating this all day long! Thanks again I really appreciate your taking the time to respond.
    the 140 rule doesnt apply to meat temps in this case, it applies to pit temps. its pretty difficult to get a big butt up to 140 in 4 hours at low and slow temps. now the 4 hour rule for pit temps is pretty safe, theres salt on the meat, smoke in the egg, most bad things arent too active in that envirement, most of us will cheat and go longer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    A remote read thermometer would help you solve this problem in the future.  I use a Maverick ET732 and put it next to my bed during the night.  It has an alarm you can set if the temp gets too low or too high and includes 2 probes - one for the meat and one for the pit.  Very useful and saves a lot of aggravation at a reasonable price.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • mkatzmd
    Options
    Agree.. definitely my next purchase! Thanks much.
    Well, they're done and look beautiful!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    There are also some stokers that are the basic stoker for $150. That is what I am hoping for for my bday present.