Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Group cook today/tomorrow? My first brisket

michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Ok, I have a lot of questions.

1.) What type of brisket do I get?

2.) How do I have it cut? (fat cap etc..)

3.) Should I go to sams club, or a meat market? Is there a difference? (I want the best quality meat for this experiment)

4.) What temp? (Internal and dome/grate temp)

5.) Should I put it on the egg tonight some time to eat tomorrow for dinner?

6.) I have some new meat rub from jacks old south that I think I am going to try. Tips on how long to let it rest in the fridge in rub prior to cooking?

7.) To inject or not to inject? I think I should, but still looking for tips from the pros, also just a simple beef broth for injection or something else?

8.) Are you guys still reading this?

9.) Want to just cook it for me? Lol...

Thanks guys, I know brisket is easy to mess up, but I want to learn. Any help is appreciated. I will make a video and take lots of pics. Once video is complete, I will put on youtube and share with you guys.

Jason

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Not the convential way, but the way I do them  The brisket I used was bought at Sam's.  Full brisket. hope there is some help here:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=633044&catid=1
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited June 2012
    I refer you to Cen-Tex and Lousubcap (and all others who do briskets regularly).. I have yet to do a brisket, good luck!
  • michigan_jason
    Tag along, learn with me :)

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2012
    My theory with almost everything I cook is to always to do it the easiest way possible.
    Here's my strategy:
    1.) Go to the grocery store, talk to the meat guy, have him pick out a brisket for you.  They'll pick the one that they think it the best to keep you coming back.
    2.) Trim some of the really thick parts of fat off but leave a 1/4" or so, I don't want to trim it down to the meat.
    2.5) Cut a corner off the brisket against the grain so you know which direction to slice it when the brisket is done.  There will be a lot of crust on it when you pull it and it's often hard to tell (at least for me) which way the grain is going.
    3.) Right before I put it on, I coat in Worchesershire sauce and cake it with my favorite rub, or whatever you have sitting around, I don't think it matters too much.
    4.) Put it on at a grid temp of 235-250 (265-280 dome).
    5.) Put the probe of your "low & slow thermometer" into the thickest part of the brisket.
    6.) Let it cook (and don't open the lid!) until the internal temp reached at least 190.
    7.) Use the probe and insert into the side of the brisket to check for "doneness" based on feel.  You want it to go in and out easily, but it really a guess at this point. I usually find that most are done between 195-200.
    8.) Let it rest at least a 1/2 hour and slice against the grain with slices the width of a pencil.

I've done tons of briskets and they almost always turn out good following these simple rules.
    Good luck.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• michigan_jason
    Great tips, thanks friend!

• michigan_jason
    cen-tex......ohh cen tex.... where art thou? :):):):)

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited June 2012

Listen to ChokeonSmoke-great insights and really all you need.  Now if you have time to kill-here is a great selection of links to expand on all you need to know from ChokeonSmoke.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html 
    And only slice when ready to consume-it dries out very fast. Enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cen-tex......ohh cen tex.... where art thou? :):):):)

Lurking. All good so far.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • michigan_jason
    This doesnt seem to be that hard, yet everyone makes it seem like it is really easy to mess up. I dont see a problem yet knock on wood. Roughly how long will this thing take?

• Look Up my "how to buy a brisket" thread and that should help you a little. SAMs is fine and so is the meat market. I would buy the cheapest choice grade brisket I could find. Buy a whole packer cut if you can, and get a whole untrimmed flat if you can't. If its a small trimmed down piece with no hfat, skip it and do a butt instead.
  • michigan_jason
    I can get a whole packer bricket from sams or the meat market, the meat market has prime though i think.

• I can get a whole packer bricket from sams or the meat market, the meat market has prime though i think.

Your call. I've never noticed the difference between a good choice and a prime brisket. That being said, presented with the choice, I would buy the prime IF it looked good to me and was not significantly more expensive. Remember, you are cooking this thing within and inch of its life and slathering it with so much flavor that the prime qualities are not going to shine through. It's not a steak so no need to pay triple for prime. You wont notice the difference.

The competition guys buy prime or "Wagyu" (which is laughable and a whole other story) but keep in mind, they are picking the best 4 oz off a 15lb hunk of meat to turn in. Don't get caught up in the hype. Read that thread and buy a brisket accordingly. some of the best briskest I have ever made were select grade cheapies.
  • First: find some buddies, a pool, a raft, a watermelon, and a bottle of rum..........

I have a fool proof plan :))

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Cen-Tex-you should give him the thread link in case he missed that cooking adventure.  But there were some lessons learned-just not sure what:)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • michigan_jason
    haha, only if you come and get all wasted like the other day...

• haha, only if you come and get all wasted like the other day...

Nobody needs that. Nobody.
  • Cap- the only lesson I learned was that my friends are not "friends" during drinking games and that I don't need to be drinking rum anymore. Of course I have known both of these things for years and cannot say that I am any better when I see a crack in the armor of a friend in the same spot. Just reconfirmed what I already knew :)

• michigan_jason
    HAHA, I love it. Sounds like someone needs to pull the old dump the rum and fill with water trick, and go shot for shot!

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    edited June 2012
    In search of RO (saving cash) at wally world (a place I prefer not to shop) I found packer briskets! Just under 12lb was like $25.00. I might have to get one as the stores I normally shop at only carry flats. BTW RO was sold out so I had to go buy the expensive stuff, where Ozark was sold out as well
    :-w
    but I ended up bringing home another favorite Natures Own
    :)
  • michigan_jason

I am going to get a brisket from the meat market now.

• michigan_jason

Listen to ChokeonSmoke-great insights and really all you need.  Now if you have time to kill-here is a great selection of links to expand on all you need to know from ChokeonSmoke.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html 
    And only slice when ready to consume-it dries out very fast. Enjoy the journey-

after reading the first link i am not happy.. I just got home from the market and got a "select" brisket. I thought it didnt matter.... it folded over in my hand though.... it is 11.6 lbs.

• michigan_jason

for this 11.6lbs brisket, should I cut off the point and cook it or leave it on? Also, what time should I plan to put it on the EGG? I am taking my dad to the tigers game tomorrow and will be gone from 10am till 5pm. Any help is appreciated.

• for this 11.6lbs brisket, should I cut off the point and cook it or leave it on? Also, what time should I plan to put it on the EGG? I am taking my dad to the tigers game tomorrow and will be gone from 10am till 5pm. Any help is appreciated.

good god no! Leave it on. I would put it on as late as you can (1 am or so) and keep the grid temp around 225. You can bump it up when you get home if needed. If i remember right, you are a GURU or stoker guy to hold temp, right?

• Now you get to prove my point that you can make an awesome select brisket.............

I've done a bunch of them and I have done several bad choice briskets and I know for sure a total crap Prime brisket. I prefer better when I can get it, but trust me, it's all in how you cook it when it comes to brisket.