Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSwoo2, or an adjustable rig?

AleBrewer
AleBrewer Posts: 555
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I have owned my large BGE for about 9 months now. Don't get to cook as much as I'd like due to traveling for work....but that's another story.

I have the platesetter, but I'd like to add a second level  for cooking more stuff when needed. I like the idea of the PSwoo, so you can lift the PS out and add more coals or wood chunks. Can I simply add the the woo3 extender on top of the pswoo2?

And, does anybody know if the 16" drip pan fits inside the PS (with legs up), or does it require a grid to support it? I frequently use a foil pan on the PS(legs up) with a few 3/4" SS nuts to keep it off the PS directly. If the 16" drip pan fits nicely inside the PS, t hat would be great!

Hope this makes sense. I am away for work, and can't measure my egg or PS.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64
    Great thread, I've been looking at the PSWoo vs Adjustable rig as well so I look forward to everyones comments.  I'm leaning towards the Adjustable Rig because it seems to have more options.

One question.  Why is adding more lump mid-cook a needed option?  Shouldn't a completely full Large Egg have plenty of fuel for the long slow and lows?  I'm new so I really don't know for sure.  Wood chunks makes more sense.
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314

One question.  Why is adding more lump mid-cook a needed option?  Shouldn't a completely full Large Egg have plenty of fuel for the long slow and lows?  I'm new so I really don't know for sure.  Wood chunks makes more sense.

You are correct in that a full load of lump (into the fire ring) on a LBGE will run for 24+ hours easily and more like 30+.  The naked whiz (great web site) recently went 48 hours for a learning exercise.  With regard to smoke wood-chips or chunks don't make much difference-I spread chips throughout the lump load for low&slows so whereever the fire is there is wood-some use chunks buried in the lump and get the same effect. BTW-here's the Naked Whiz site  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm a great reference. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited June 2012
    My old water smoker used to let in so much unwanted air that the daisy wheels were pretty useless. I used to have to replenish lump every few hours. Lots of sleepless BBQ nights.
    I was going to buy a weber smokey mountain because the egg didnt have a way to add lump. Turns out that is so a non issue on the egg. The only time I open it, is to take temp when not using the maverick, or take a pic.

BTW, +1 on naked whiz site. Lots of good reading.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    is the plate setter and the PSwoo2 compatible?
  • Mattlock
    ^ yes, it's designed that way.  Google ceramic grill store and look at their site, pretty cool stuff!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    one of our 16 SS pans on platesetter. fit's with 1/4" or so around to spare.  PSWoo2 and platesetter are compatible.   t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Mattlock
    Do a lot of people just set this drip pan directly on the play setting and avoid wrapping the plate setter with aluminum foil?  Then after it cools rinse it and throw in the dishwasher?  Sounds convenient!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Line drip pan with foil and throw foil away...no washing necessary. Or just use a foil pan as the drip pan...
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    sams club, costco and some restaurant supply stores carry 500 foot roll of 18" foil.  cost around $30.  heavy duty foil box is best for the extra couple bucks.   

t
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for the replies and pictures! Much appreciated! Just placed an order for the PSwoo2, extender, and drip pan.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    @tjv, do you think the air flow would be sufficient with the 16" drip pan on the platesetter in the PSWoo2? What would be the best drip pan size in this setup?

When I first started egging, I used a 16" pan on the platesetter for big smokes.  One added benefit of using the PSWoo is the platesetter is 1/4" higher above the fire ring because of the PSWoo's lower ring is under the platesetter.  So, the bottom of the 16" pan will be 7/8" (1/4" PSWoo + 5/8" platesetter) above the fire ring.  I'm OK with that.  We offer a 14 and 16 pan combo to give you betta' options.

t