Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Open Heart

SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Seeing all the responses to the several off-BGE-topics thought I'd throw this one out. Our 19 year old son is having open heart surgery next week to replace a valve. We've talked to all the doctors and fully understand what they've told us and we have been expecting this pretty much since the day he was born, so no surprises, we're ready. But otherwise, from an Egger's perspective, what's he in for? Not just the event, but a year or two or three later. I haven't had any significant surgeries. In 'preparation' though, this weekend we'll smoke up a package or two of baby backs!

Comments

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Depending in the procedure, many are done without having to crack the chest, he could back to normal in a month or so. Physical therapy post surgery is arduous but necessary. Good luck, and we'll keep him in our prayers.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    We will definetly keep him and your family in our prayers.

I work with these types of patients every day. Being young he will more than likely have a smooth recovery. Like Brian said therapy is going to be the key. I would assume they've already talked to you about if it will be robotic assist or cracked chest. If its assist it will be a full recovery in a couple of weeks, and more than likely he will have more energy and more stamina since his cardiac output will be more efficient. If cracked chest he will be in the hospital a few more days and will have to be careful with lifting for a few months afterward.

Just because of his age I'd be surprised if its open chest.

For the years to come, I'd think five years from now you wouldn't be able to tell him from another 23 year old.

XLBGE 
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    We will keep yall in our prayers.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    My father had an aortic valve replacement almost a year ago. He is doing great, the only difference is he is on coumadin to thin blood and prevent clotting. This means he gets cold easier and bleeds a little more when he gets cut, but nothing bad. He is 62 so your son will likely have a much easier time recovering than my father. Good luck- he will be fine I am sure.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    My mother had a quad bypass and valve over 12 years ago. She recovered just fine. Like Chubbs said, blood thinners will have that effect, and effect their diet a bit.  
    I'm pretty sure that the new procedures have a much faster recovery, but you may want to keep an eye out for depression that can creep in during recovery, but it passes with the physical therapy, and the extra energy they get. 

You guys are definitely in our prayers.  

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Marcusp
    Marcusp Posts: 16
    I had my Aorta Valve replaced 6 years ago at the age of 43 with no problems at all.  My valve was junk so they opened my chest and installed a St Jude valve.  Everything is great except I am on Coumadin the rest of my life and so far no big deal.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Thanks for the heartfelt words, folks, pun intended. Really appreciate it.
  • SteveWPBFL
    edited May 2012
    Thanks, Gato, for asking. ALL WENT WELL! So far, nothing but goodness. Post-op follow-up with the surgeon is tomorrow, then we're pretty much done and will call it a home run.

To know anything about open heart surgery is to know something about the heart-lung machine, the technological enabler that very nearly makes it all trivial, which it's not, especially when it's you or your kid. And even though all the risks associated with this planned event were in the 'noise' (or 1% category) a lot still has to go right.

The 'kid' walked out of the hospital on the 4th day without pain meds, without a wheel chair, listening to his ipod, and happy to go home and get a shower. (They would have released him after three days but we his parents couldn't believe he was doing THAT well so we held out for the extra day and will take any of the heat for it, so far none.) The four days felt like a campaign even with all the success.

Since everything was going so well and we knew he was coming home that morning I'd snuck home the night before and, natch, put a boneless pork shoulder rubbed with Dizzy Pig on the BGE.  Well, his appetite wasn't the same as the rest of ours but we all enjoyed it and celebrated BGE-style having our son healthy and back home and being back home ourselves!  And that is one of the greatest feelings there is in life!
  • Gato
    Good to hear, thanks for the update!
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Glad to see you are relying on doctors rather than prayer.  I think that will be MUCH more effective.

I wish you and your family all the luck and your son a speedy recovery.  Go western medicine!

Doctors and technology are great, but a little prayer ever hurts.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Great news, Steve!

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Good to hear, thanks for the update!
    X2
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Such great news!  Made my day.  I hope he continues to do well and gets his appetite back.  He's missing out on some great grub!! 
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Glad he is doing well!
  • ducksbuddy
    ducksbuddy Posts: 56

Prayers are with...take care ....George

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    My daughter was born with Tetralogy of Fallot. She had open heart surgery at a week of age. She has had one stent inserted through the artery in her leg. We are given to understand that she will need another open heart procedure when she is in her late teens. She is a competitive dancer and can keep up with or exceed the capabilities of all the other kids in her studio. Her doctors are amazed at her when we go for the annual testing. Good luck and things should work out just fine in the long term.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
  • Gato
    I for one am a believer in prayer and God. I don't know why you always go out of your way to say things you know will offend people. And by the same token jump up and down when someone offends you.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

All of the non-believers change their mind about that when they are dying.......

It's like all of the people that smoke saying, well you have to die of something......

Please don't take this as me pushing any form of religion off on anyone, but personally i believe.  As well, we have doctors......... (maybe it is a conspiracy and god and the doctors are working together????)

Well wishes and prayers from my family to yours Steve WPBFL.  I have not seen a time yet when a prayer hurt anyone!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I for one am a believer in prayer and God. I don't know why you always go out of your way to say things you know will offend people. And by the same token jump up and down when someone offends you.
    Same reason I get annoyed when someone puts gasoline in their egg. Because it's stupid.
    Guess you've never heard of Dale Carnegie

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canary
    Canary Posts: 37
    Same reason I get annoyed when someone puts gasoline in their egg. Because it's stupid.
    You always have to make it about you. You're a first class a-hole.
    If Canary can do it you can too!
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Nice job trashing the thread of someone just trying to get some moral support.  Typical religious hypocrite.  At the heart of most religons is evil - case and point.  You people are disgusting.

http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/PriestAbuseScandal.htm

And a lot of people get support through prayer and faith, if you do not believe that's fine, but to criticize those that do simply shows your ignorance! Personally I will offer a prayer to anyone who needs it, I'll include you tonight!
  • ccpoulin1

WOW, THIS ONE WENT ASTRAY....

Yes there are instances of abuse in churches, but that does not make them all bad....That is like saying all cops are dirty.  It is a small percentage (though sad) when you take into consideration how much good is done by churches through charity, hope and love around the world.  At least they try to preach morality and decency, something our society needs a whole lot of right now.  As long as no extreme is involved, any denomination is ok, it is the extremists (either end) that scare me,     and........SteveWPBFL i did say a prayer for you and your family last night, and i will repeat it tonight.

good day to all, and god bless!

• SteveWPBFL
    Funny. I've always been pretty much 'on the fence' when it comes to spirituality. Not enough faith to be a believer, not enough doubt to be a non-believer. Not sure how you guys on either end can be so 'sure'. God Bless us all!
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Great news Steve, I am so glad to hear everything is golng as planned, good luck to a speedy recovery. We will keep your family in our prayers, without God I wonder what would have happened? Just thinking.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • ccpoulin1

SteveWPBFL,

I used to be in the same spot.  Too many things in my life have happened to be coincidence, plus my brother had an out of body experience a long time ago (he was spiritually in the same place as well) when we was clinically dead.  It just touched too close to home for me to not believe.  Even if you don't believe, you can use it as an acronym: GOD (good, orderly direction).  But in the end, you already said it, "god bless us all"

All the best!

• Gato
    It's harder to not believe. Just think about the vastness of the universe, with a tiny speck, sitting on the perfect axis to sustain life. Look at the human body and all the things around us. All this just happened by chance. I don't think so. Yes there is evil in this world, man is made with free will and too often chooses the wrong path. God lets us choose and wants us to choose Him, but will not force us to. This is the reason God sent his Son to die for us even though we (myself included) are sinners.
    Just because a guy walks down the street with long hair, does that mean there is no such thing as a barber. No, what it means is he chooses not to go to one. And no I don't have a problem with long hair, just an example.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    It's harder to not believe. Just think about the vastness of the universe, with a tiny speck, sitting on the perfect axis to sustain life. Look at the human body and all the things around us. All this just happened by chance. I don't think so. Yes there is evil in this world, man is made with free will and too often chooses the wrong path. God lets us choose and wants us to choose Him, but will not force us to. This is the reason God sent his Son to die for us even though we (myself included) are sinners.
    Just because a guy walks down the street with long hair, does that mean there is no such thing as a barber. No, what it means is he chooses not to go to one. And no I don't have a problem with long hair, just an example.
    Amen
    Eggo in N. MS
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Gato 

Another way of saying what you said is that it takes more faith to believe everything happen by chance than by design. A wise man I new once told me there were two things he was convinced of, mans inhumanity to man and the grace of God.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    @ gato. Well said. I can't image going through life without being able to talk to my Heavenly Father, asking for guidance, wisdom, direction. Not wanting this thread to get side tracked. 
    Glad to hear that everything is going well. Family is VERY important, enjoy every minute together with them.

Large, small, and a mini