Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marinade safety question

tazcrash
tazcrash Posts: 1,852
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK, yesterday I made a pork loin marinaded in Mojo. Normally I discard the marinade, but my dry-ish loin made me wonder: 
If I put the marinade in the drip pan, and cooked with the loin, could I have SAFELY used it as gravy or Au-jus? Or would I have had to still bring it to a boil? 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it's done all the time.  standard operating procedure.
    as long as it is heated to around 140, sure.

boiling it (reducing it) is also done for a lot of pan sauces, to thicken them.  but you need to be careful that the marinade isn't salted heavily to begin with, because it will only be saltier when reduced
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Makes sense... Thanks.

Damn, all that good potential pork gravy gone.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I have placed the marinade -other-than poultry--  in the pan and baste as the cook progresses.  Usually add water and the mixture boils as the cook is happening.  Still around 68 years later.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    could still do poultry if you wanted.
    any salmonella you'd be worried about would have come from the chicken you cooked and ate anyway. just make sure you cook the marinade.

marinades are frequently cooked and used as sauces.

the warnings we've geard about marinades have always revolved around their use without being cooked, or when food is reintroduced to the same (unclean) plate or (uncooked) marinade it came from before cooking, recontaminating it
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante