Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pizza

DHW
DHW Posts: 11
edited May 2012 in Forum List
Well, I am going to try my first pizza tomorrow night. I have a plate setter and a large egg and will try using my wife's pampered chief stone ware pan for the pizza. Any advise on temp, time, set up, etc will be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I do platesetter legs up, grid, then pizza stone on grid.........as per BGE request when I was quickly losing my gasket.............My temp runs wherever my egg is happy for the cook. 450-550.......give your stone plenty of time to preheat 20-40 mins.......cook till your cheese starts to bubble and the bottom of your crust browns....oh and have fun...after a few pizza nights with the egg you wont want to order out!
  • I concurr with Brownie, though 600 can make an amazing pizza in something like 4 minutes - unless you overload it with toppings (try not to). What we do is make the pizza directly on a pizza paddle covered with lots of cornmeal, so it slides right onto the stone. If the stars are aligned, we can just shove the paddle under it when it's done. However, sometimes it hangs over the edge and sticks on the stone a bit, so we keep a big spatula handy for loosening up any stuck spots under the pizza. In a pinch, you can always slide the paddle under the stone and rest it on a heat tolerant surface and do the lifting from there, or just cut it right on the stone. Depends on how hungry you are, and if presentation matters.

We just ate this pizza tonight. We would be so lost without our BGE...Everything just tastes better.

Don't forget the anchovies! Bon Appetit!

• DHW
    What do you put on the stone to prevent sticking? Will just regular non stick spray work? Is it good to use any kind of wood chunks for smoking or just let the burning lump take care of smoke flavor?
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Unless some of your toppings (cheese) spills over the side, the pizza crust will not stick to the stone.

I've heard of some people tossing some wood chips in for smoke, but I think most just cook over plain lump. Pizzas are spectacular from an Egg!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    If you have the regular natural stone one, please do not spray it. Use either cornmeal or flour.
    I would imagine the spray will leave a residue.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Don't spray it or put any liquid on the stone ever.

These stones absorb water and if they are not dry to start and you put them on your grill you have a very high chance of it cracking or maybe exploding. Like putting a stone in a camp fire and it "pops".  
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    i read that the pampered chef pizza stones will break in the egg. 

• SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    I have successfully used the pampered chief stone twice now, but I just ordered the BGE stone.  I didn't want to press my luck with the PC stone, my wife would not be happy if I cracked it.  I have also read that the PC stone has a tendency to crack in the egg cause of the high temperatures.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I've been using pampered chef stone too for at least 40 pizzas and knock on wood haven't had a problem. I also read about others failing and I've tried to not heat it over 600* dome. So far so good, but I'll be extremely sad if it fails during use.
  • DHW
    Thanks for the advice, this might keep me out of the dog house.
  • RGTERP
    RGTERP Posts: 10
    I am going to attemptmy first pizza tonight. I do not have a place setter, but plan on trying g some bricks. I found a nice pizza stone which wad made for the grill, with a spatula for $30. Here's to hoping it comes out as good as everything else I have cooked.