Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Lump

Options
tvest43
tvest43 Posts: 20
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Being a newbie to the egg, just what is the best lump to get?  Using the free BGE brand for now, what's better?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Do a search on "Naked Whiz lump database," and see if any of the top ones are available to you.
  • tvest43
    tvest43 Posts: 20
    Options
    Can order any online, just want to get a consensus of what's everybody's "favorite"..........
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about what is "the best lump". Get what's local to you and experiment.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options

The question you ask will generate lots of opinions and we all know what those are worth:) If you have access to other types of lump besides the gold (price-wise for sure) standard BGE lump, buy them and use it-keep track of how it works for you.  Price/# can be a big driver but there are other things that you may find of value.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Can order any online, just want to get a consensus of what's everybody's "favorite"..........
    Best lump is BGE Brand; My dealer said so.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you are looking for price, Best of the West Mesquiye at Sam's and the Original Charcoal Co. From Costco are great options

On the boutique-y side: Ozark Oak, Wicked Good are excellent options

Royal Oak from Wally World seems to be standard fare around here. They also make the BGE that you pay 3x more for cuz it's in a green bag :)

FWIW- i use best of the west and have for 2 years.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Listen to the others and try different brands. You may decide you like different lumps for different foods as well as different cooks (low n slow, searing). Find out what suits your pallet as well as your wallet.

add Natures Own to Cen-Tex's boutique list. It's good stuff imo.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    If you like the BGE lump you will like Royal Oak. The only issue I have found is lately the size seems inconsistent between bags. More small stuff. I have tried a few different brands and honestly nothing I have tried I would call bad. Just some seems better than others. Wicked Good is great especially for the low and slow cooks. Try a few and you will know what works best for you.

George
    George
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options

Check out Naked Whiz lump database....everything you need to know about lump and then some.

www.nakedwhiz.com

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Check out Naked Whiz lump database....everything you need to know about lump and then some.

www.nakedwhiz.com

I am a huge Whiz fan but check the dates on the reviews. Many of them are 7-8 years old so if there is not a recent review on one you want, try it. It's only $20
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I've been using Cowboy lump from Lowe's.  $13 for 20 lb bag.
  • inkyon
    inkyon Posts: 88
    Options
    If you can get Wicked Good and get it! Burns so clean and last so long. For $$ reasons, get royal oaks, the red bag, from Walmart
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    For other reasons, don't get anything from WW.  Personal opinion only-and the generic RO is good.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.