Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rain or stall?

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I put some spare ribs on about 2 hours ago (indirect).  It started raining on the egg maybe 30 minutes ago.  Have the ribs reached the stall...or is the rain messing with me?

12:30pm 55F IT, 244F grid
1:20pm  147F IT, 253F grid
1:45pm  156F IT, 252F grid
2:02pm  158F IT, 252F grid
2:40pm  153F IT, 223F grid

I know there's a good chance the meat probe placement wasn't great (too close to a bone), but I figure monitoring it is better than not...and they just may not be done when the probe temp indicates they should be.

Is it normal for rain to cool the inside of the egg?  I put my improvised rain cap on it after the rain started...but I wonder do I need to increase the air flow?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

BGE has no issues with rain or snow or cold for that matter-the ceramics will ensure the inside temp is not impacted by outside weather.  Now with regard to measuring temps with ribs-it is a crap-shoot at best as you note.  Use the bend test for doneness and with BB's that is somewhere around 3.5-5 hrs and you can add about an hour for spares.  Enjoy the end results.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    If the egg dome temp is stable I would say leave it alone
  • njl
    Options
    The rain stopped.  I opened the daisy wheel petals a bit more, and grid temp is up, but meat temp is still falling.

3:05pm  147F IT, 241F grid

BTW, a foiled ear of corn at these temps took 2 hours to seem done.  Tastes great...but I don't think it would have tasted any different if we'd just boiled it, and it would have been done in far less time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Ignore rib temps. Too fickle to get an accurate temp.
    When they bend, they're done
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • njl
    Options
    Even with full St. Luis cut spares that have been cut in half to fit them in the egg?

I just went out to check on them, and some of the smaller ones probed in multiple places were in the low 170s...so I just applied some sauce and am hoping they're about done.