Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Piling up ribs

Boileregger
Boileregger Posts: 614
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Trying to fit a bunch of ribs on my L for today's cook. I have 2 levels, but am saving room for a chicken later, so the ribs are overlapping each other a little bit. Does this have any impact on quality? Should have gone for the XL!

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Nope. You should be good. May want to shift them around in a few hours. I have done that before with no problems.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I don't think you want the chicken dripping on the ribs, so put it on the lower level.  If I'm wrong about that, somebody correct me.
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Duganboy, I'd agree, chicken drippings on ribs not the best idea.   Rib drippings on chicken however, that just sounds fantastic
    Pentwater, MI
  • Either way will be fine. Ribs over chicken/Chicken over ribs does not matter

You could use wooden skewers to keep the ribs apart. That's what I do on a big rib cook. I can fit 4-5 racks in there with just a v rack. If you don't do that, move them around so they all get smoke and crust.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Duganboy, I'd agree, chicken drippings on ribs not the best idea.   Rib drippings on chicken however, that just sounds fantastic
    Yep, that's the way I was taught.  Thanks
  • Boileregger
    I am 3 hours in, just put the chicken on. I did have to put the chicken on the top for now, but I think I'm ok because I do the 3-1.5-1 method and the ribs are in foul right now. This makes them take up a bit more space, but will also protect from chicken drippings. When they come out of the foil in 90 min, I'll move the chix to the bottom.

Thanks
  • Boileregger
    Should have said ribs are in foil. Darn iPhone.
  • Boileregger
    Thanks for the help.  This was my 4th time doing baby backs on the egg, and my best result.  They passed the bite test perfectly and had great flavor.  Chicken was good too, a little dry in the breast, but the thighs and legs were awesome.  I let the breasts go to 175 since I had some picky guests, but next time I'll pull them sooner.