Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BBQ Guru CyberQ Wifi

Options
Iceman5705
Iceman5705 Posts: 83
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

All,

Placed my order for the CyberQ Wifi yesterday.  Hope to have it by early next week.  I have an BGEXL.

Looking forward to sending a review!

Ice

Comments

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    I'm very interested in one of those... I'll be looking for your review.
  • Iceman5705
    Iceman5705 Posts: 83
    Options

I was on the fence prior to watching the attached link.  After that I was sold.  Not much in the way of what it can do on the BBQGURU site.

http://www.huckshut.com/2012/04/29/video-bbq-bob-shows-us-the-cyber-q-wifi-unit/

• Smoker_Guru
    Options
    That's a good vidio. Sure makes it look pretty simple to use..
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Looks nice.  I'm happy with my DigiQ DX but the wifi would be nice to have for sure.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    Its cool and all, but can't  see dropping $400 on a temp controller for a grill that's relatively rock steady. Sticking by my $150 ique for my overnighters. I've ran 2 eggs side by side, one with temp control and one without. Both held the exact same temperature when lit correctly and filled with coal, minimal to 0 vent adjustments on both
  • fyrpit
    fyrpit Posts: 24
    Options
    UPS tracking shows that our new CyberQ WIFI arrives today!  
    Can't wait to use it this weekend at a contest.  
    Most likely will use at least once this week to get the feel for it before using it for the first time in a contest.
    Todd www.smokinfyrpit.com https://www.facebook.com/SmokinFyrPit pitmaster@smokinfyrpit.com Dragon Breath Lump Charcoal Dealer XL Big Green Egg & Large Big Green Egg Rebel 23' Smoker DigiQ DXII & Cyber Que WIFI KCBS Member & CBJ
  • Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    Options

A related question. What should I use to keep the dome temperature probe from touching food or grate and keep it near the food at the same time?

The "Probe Tree" BBQ Guru was selling on their web site doesn't seem to be available any more.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    You can use a piece of potato.

The Naked Whiz
  • Gadfly
    Options

Thanks! Resourceful as always!

Any tips how to start the fire? How much should I open the daisy wheel?

I don’t think I found this info in your review.

• Smoker_Guru
    Options

The "Probe Tree" BBQ Guru was selling on their web site doesn't seem to be available any more.

It's on back order. Waiting on my second one.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Any updates on this now that you all have some cook time? I don't know if I need one or not but I love tech so I am interested. Thanks
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Gadfly
    Options

I have not cooked with it yet (wife is away and I can't justify a slow long cook).

I still have not managed to get the wireless working in infrastructure mode. and nobody has said that they could.

• Sgt93
    Options
    Interesting. I'm hoping for the best. Subscribed.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    When wife is away, it's the best time to do a low and slow (and all the drinks that come with it). Do it and share with buddies (it's how you learn)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Used mine works great.  I am still trying to figure out if I am going to continue to use the Ad-Hoc wifi mode or if am am going to hook it up to my regular wifi network in the house.  Still early in my use of the unit - but like every Guru it controls the temp with crazy accuracy.
  • Sgt93
    Options
    Used mine works great.  I am still trying to figure out if I am going to continue to use the Ad-Hoc wifi mode or if am am going to hook it up to my regular wifi network in the house.  Still early in my use of the unit - but like every Guru it controls the temp with crazy accuracy.
    I think running it through the house WiFi would be interesting. I am going to wait for some more reviews and really don't think I will need it.  A nice piece of mind for overnight cooks would be nice though. Hmm
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    @Sgt93 I know you are a new egg owner so I would suggest mastering temp controls on low and slows the old fashioned way. That way if you have a power failure or if your unit dies, you won't be scratching your head trying to figure it out in the middle of a cook.

As a side note, I was tempted to buy one of these units, but I don't do overnight low and slows too often. I have had 2 butts on the egg since 3 A.M. and my temp has remained rock solid at 230 degrees. I went back to bed after putting the butts on without giving it a second thought. Maybe some day I'll get one, but $400 can buy me lots of other cool accessories.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • joe@bge
    Options
    @Sgt93 I know you are a new egg owner so I would suggest mastering temp controls on low and slows the old fashioned way. That way if you have a power failure or if your unit dies, you won't be scratching your head trying to figure it out in the middle of a cook. As a side note, I was tempted to buy one of these units, but I don't do overnight low and slows too often. I have had 2 butts on the egg since 3 A.M. and my temp has remained rock solid at 230 degrees. I went back to bed after putting the butts on without giving it a second thought. Maybe some day I'll get one, but $400 can buy me lots of other cool accessories.
    Agree...I Egged Guru-less for 2 years - and once you have the Egg mastered for controlling temps, you really don't need a Guru.  I am in the technology field, so I gravitate to the nerdy side of grilling.   :-B
  • Sgt93
    Options
    I have been doing burns on her at various temps since I picked her up to test the waters and pretty much have it under control already which is nice.  I have been using Webers for years and got pretty good with temp control which is saying something LOL. I think the BGE has been a cake walk.  Do I need a GURU... probably not. The techie in me would not mind having one. Time will tell. :)
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    I have no problems controlling temp manually, but would love to be able to check meat temp while I'm at work.   Does anyone know if something like the CyberQ wifi exist but is just a meat thermo?
    Pentwater, MI
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Its cool and all, but can't  see dropping $400 on a temp controller for a grill that's relatively rock steady. Sticking by my $150 ique for my overnighters. I've ran 2 eggs side by side, one with temp control and one without. Both held the exact same temperature when lit correctly and filled with coal, minimal to 0 vent adjustments on both

I almost dropped the 4 Bills also for a Stoker last month. Yesterday at 4PM I started my Egg and got it to 185. Stayed up till 3 AM watching it and it held steady. Woke up at 8 and it was right on still.

I think with proper fire and lump you can hold those long temps without assistance. I will try again this weekend and see about replicating it.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• joe@bge
    Options
    I have no problems controlling temp manually, but would love to be able to check meat temp while I'm at work.   Does anyone know if something like the CyberQ wifi exist but is just a meat thermo?

Not exactly, but you don't have to hook up the fan which just turns it into a very expensive meat thermometer.  :D
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Options
    In my opinion it's a 50/50 split. I've heard everything from I'm glad I have it to I don't need it. I own the wifi model and I'll be using it for the first time this weekend, but as most of you said its nice to have but would rather spend that money towards something else.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • Sgt93
    Options
    In my opinion it's a 50/50 split. I've heard everything from I'm glad I have it to I don't need it. I own the wifi model and I'll be using it for the first time this weekend, but as most of you said its nice to have but would rather spend that money towards something else.
    How was your cook with the CyberQ?
  • GeauxEggin
    GeauxEggin Posts: 31
    Options
    May want to look at the Maverick et-732 remote thermo's.  Not hooked up to wifi but you can at least carry it around the house and set up and alarm on it next to your bed if the temp goes out of wack