Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket question/survey

Options
smokinsooner
smokinsooner Posts: 161
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

It's been awhile since I've posted.... but back in full BGE mode now.

Sounds like Brisket is the cook of choice this weekend and I am doing one as well! I've seen discussion about this before, but I can't find it (hidden in the forum)...

Some folks trim the fat cap, (in one you-tube video, the guy removes almost all fat)... some of you don't touch it.

I'm asking for pros and cons. Reccomendations? 

Thanks in advance for the help!

BOOMER!

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I trim it down tight (1/8 inch or so) so i can eat it. If you leave it on there whole, it's pretty fatty and can affect the taste. If you trim it off after, you lose all the good bark that you worked so hard to get.

I've found a nice tight trim is the best bite (for me). A little fat and a lot of bark.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Options
    I'm with Centex, I don't really enjoy eating fat, I prefer the bark.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I've seen people leave it on and not even put any rub on that side, because they are going to just sorta rake off all the fat when they take it out of the smoker.