Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Infared Thermometer

Options
JimS
JimS Posts: 78
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Is an infared thermometer that some of you use to read the temp of your pizza stone the same as the one's sold in Lowe's for checking the cold or hot spots in a house for energy loss? And is the $29 ones just as good as the $89 ones for that purpose?

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    They are the same. I bought a cheap one at harbor freight and it sucked. Not accurate at all. Don't know about the one at Lowe's but I would be wary of the super cheap ones.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Also, some of the cheaper ones don't measure higher temps. They Are for cars or homes and only go up to like 250. Make sure yiu get one that goes up as high as you can.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JimS
    JimS Posts: 78
    Options

The one at lowes goes to 650 temp and was $ 29.00. Just doon't want to increase the cost of papa murphy's too much.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Thermoworks (makers of Thermapen) have sales every so often on infrared thermometers. Some are refurbished, some new.  I bought one for $45 and am very happy with it.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA