Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whose Tried The Jaccard For Tenderizing Steaks?

Cullum
Cullum Posts: 215
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone used one? 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,165
    Yes-but not for steaks-pounded brisket flats for a while-but gave that up.  May have to revive just for a change of pace.  It can do some serious work on anything-BGE seems to help a lot with the tenderizing process.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Anyone used one? 
    The Jaccard is a wonderful tool. Not only is it good as a tenderizer, but it will speed up the marinade process as well. I fried over 100 ponds of gator meat at a party this year and I used the Jaccard on every piece. I no longer use a cuber to tenderize meat.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Not me, but Costco started using it on their rib roasts few years ago.  It really irritates me because several of us used to age these for 10-14 days in the fridge and now I don't feel comfortable doing that with Jaccard meat.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Cullum
    Anyone used one? 
    The Jaccard is a wonderful tool. Not only is it good as a tenderizer, but it will speed up the marinade process as well. I fried over 100 ponds of gator meat at a party this year and I used the Jaccard on every piece. I no longer use a cuber to tenderize meat.
    Have you used it on anything else?
  • 1st- not sure why anyone would buy a steak that needs to be beaten within an inch if it's life to be tender

2nd- you are taking all the lovely fecal bacteria from the outside of your steak and jamming it in. Hope you like your cheap tough steaks well done.

Now Im sure there are valuable uses for this tool. I just don't see steak being one of them For me.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Cullum
    1st- not sure why anyone would buy a steak that needs to be beaten within an inch if it's life to be tender 2nd- you are taking all the lovely fecal bacteria from the outside of your steak and jamming it in. Hope you like your cheap tough steaks well done. Now Im sure there are valuable uses for this tool. I just don't see steak being one of them For me.
    I'm assuming you've never used one on a steak.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i've had them on a steak.  the cheap steaks we had to buy in the 70s. 'cube steak'.

let's face it, it's essentially mechanical pre-chewing.

i'm with C~T.  it's sacrilege on a good steak, in my irrelevant opinion. 

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Anyone used one? 
    Sure, I have used it on beef, poultry, conch, octopus, etc.
    If you want to read  Nathan Myhrvold's thoughts on the Jaccard, go to the following and start at post 242:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php/topic/116617-sous-vide-recipes-techniques-equipment-2004-2010/page__st__240__p__1017979#entry1017979
  • Anyone used one? 
    Sure, I have used it on beef, poultry, conch, octopus, etc.
    If you want to read  Nathan Myhrvold's thoughts on the Jaccard, go to the following and start at post 242:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php/topic/116617-sous-vide-recipes-techniques-equipment-2004-2010/page__st__240__p__1017979#entry1017979
    All of those sound like a very good use to me. Just not steak
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    good if your marinading a cheap sirlion cap roast. no need to buy one though as the butcher will do it on request

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 1st- not sure why anyone would buy a steak that needs to be beaten within an inch if it's life to be tender 2nd- you are taking all the lovely fecal bacteria from the outside of your steak and jamming it in. Hope you like your cheap tough steaks well done. Now Im sure there are valuable uses for this tool. I just don't see steak being one of them For me.
    I'm assuming you've never used one on a steak.
    I have not and would not for the reasons stated above. I have never bought a steak that would need it (on purpose anyway) and Iike my steak med rare and it's not safe to eat them once they are tenderized.

I would use it on other stuff like mentioned above assuming I was going to cook them through.
  • Cullum
    Really only curious if it would work on cheaper cuts of meat to make them more tender. I would never use it on a good piece of meat.
  • Really only curious if it would work on cheaper cuts of meat to make them more tender. I would never use it on a good piece of meat.
    I hear you. It's just that you would still have to cook it well
    Done to be safe. It would essentially be the same safety
    Of ground beef once you introduce all the bacteria from the outside to the inside. It would be good for stuff like fajitas or something you are going to cook through.

Wonder if you could do it after the cook (or at least after the sear)? It would be safe that way.
  • Cullum
     Wonder if you could do it after the cook (or at least after the sear)? It would be safe that way.
    Great point. Another way to experiment.
  • fishlessman
    sometimes i think the fda has just gone too far and overthunk things, no problem here eating raw burger, raw lamb, raw slices off a dry aged steak, or a piece of meat run thru a jaccard and doused with rotten fish sauce
    :))now i stay clear of a bowl of ecoli infested lettuce hidden under some e coli infested raw veggies.
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    edited May 2012
    it isn't the FDA, it's people being afraid of their food. :))

i found some country ham in my luggage the day after i got home from atlanta. was in my carry on.  with driving, flying, and subways, it probably took 8 or 10 hours to get home. then i just left it in the living room overnight because i'd forgotten about it, and it was a travel day, so i just had a few drinks instead of unpacking. unpacked it the next day, maybe 1 in the afternoon.

while unpacking i came across the ham slices in ziploc at the bottom of the bag.  as i took them into the kitchen, my wife said "ah, that's too bad. gonna throw it out?" and i said "hell no, i'm gonna make a sandwich!"

i'm sure someone will tell it wasn't safe to eat.  but they'd have no idea what they were talking about.

(oh and hey fish, when did you start eating aged carpaccio? i thought it was the only suicidal idiot. you aging now?)

• I eat all that stuff too but not unless I know how and where it was processed. I love beef tartar but would not eat it from A commercial processor.
  • fishlessman
    last stop at the meathouse i had a half off coupon from groupon. they started to trim the 45 day steak i bought, it was a ribeye end cut, i yelled at them and asked for a discount if they didnt trim since the were tossing the best stuff anyways. no discount but then said ill take the 3/8 end slice for the dog which they were ok with
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    i don't think steak tartar is sold from a centralized facility.... :-&

so fish, you find the metallic tingle on the tongue when you ate it? hahaha   that stuff is intense. but i can't get anyone to eat it with me

• fishlessman
    its not bad
    :))i grew up warming my hamburger to room temp on top of the fridge, its warmer than on the counter. cold raw hamburger is tasteless
    fukahwee maine

• i don't think steak tartar is sold from a centralized facility.... :-&

so fish, you find the metallic tingle on the tongue when you ate it? hahaha   that stuff is intense. but i can't get anyone to eat it with me

I was talking about the ground beef used to make it. Should have been more clear.
  • stike
    mom would take a roast out of the freezer and put it on the counter to thaw while we were at school/work. 
    we only lost one kid, which i think is a good return on investment.

C~T, just thinking any place that knows what steak tartar is wouldn't use ground beef from a commercial facility, but i might be underestimating some restaurants. always thought it was finely chopped, fresh, rather than ground beef. but i haven't had it.  carpaccio, yeah.  but not tartare
  • mom would take a roast out of the freezer and put it on the counter to thaw while we were at school/work. 
    we only lost one kid, which i think is a good return on investment.

C~T, just thinking any place that knows what steak tartar is wouldn't use ground beef from a commercial facility, but i might be underestimating some restaurants. always thought it was finely chopped, fresh, rather than ground beef. but i haven't had it.  carpaccio, yeah.  but not tartare
    That's a good point. I've had it many times at restaurants and it always been ground. Just like a burger. I guess I was trying to clumsily say it that I will eat raw ground beef if I know where it comes from.
  • stike
    me too.
    home-ground is great.  rare for me.  but from a store? no way.

i used to work in the meat dept at a grocery store (found my first paycheck today looking thru an old box. 3.25 an hour, 1982).  i knew some guys i worked with that were disgusting.  i try to buy nothing but roasts or subprimals.  grind it myself, or cut my own steaks.  i always wash everything, too.