Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Grades for Briskets

Duganboy
Duganboy Posts: 1,118
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
The only place I can get packer cut briskets (without driving 50 miles one way) is the local Wallyworld.  They have no marking on them as to select, choice, prime.

Am I correct in assuming that if the briskets are not marked choice, then they are select?

TIA

Comments

• Most likely as if it's marked choice, they can sell it for more. If its not marked, assume its select or worse.....and it can be worse (way worse).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I wouldn't buy one that was unmarked unless i talked to the meat mgr and confirmed what it was. Assuming they know or tell you the truth.
  • Duganboy
    EXACTLY, why I haven't bought one there.  All other meats (beef) are marked choice.  The Sam's Club which is 50 miles away only sells flats.

The Bluegrass is not a big brisket area.

Thanks CT
    I wouldn't buy one that was unmarked unless i talked to the meat mgr and confirmed what it was. Assuming they know or tell you the truth.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    @ Duganboy-check out your local Kroger-here in the Louisville area they always have flats (inquired about what happens to the point-the stores get them pre-cut) and for personal reasons I don't frequent WW.  Of course, there are those who don't consider this a part of the rest of the Commonwealth...:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Nothing like a 20 year old dairy cow that had to be shoved down the line with a fork lift to produce a tender brisket :).
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    might check target grocery, ours carry choice but then I'm in brisket country......TX that is......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited May 2012
    I may be totally, absolutely wrong on this, but it is something I read.  If anybody knows differently, I'd love to hear it.

I read that a carcass is rated prime, choice, or select based on the entire carcass as it is hanging.  And then, each cut of meat derived from it has the same rating (which may or may not be fair).  So, a "select" brisket might be a lot better than a "choice" brisket.  You need to evaluate each cut of meat.  Does the packer have white fat, does it twist easily, etc.  Does the Ribeye have the desired marbling?  

Think of the cost involved if each cut of meat was evaluated and rated by a USDA inspector. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    VI, I do believe you are correct.  Here is the link:

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Duganboy
    Thanks for all these comments guys.  I bought one that looked pretty good and was by far the most "limber" on in the case. 

Big weekend on the BGE, just like most of you.  

Pizza tonight

Ribs tomorrow night

Steaks Sunday evening

Then about midnight Sunday on goes the Wally World brisket.  If it isn't good it will be someone else's fault, right 

:)) :))