Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got Layed Off so I made a Brisket

TUTTLE871
TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Got Layed off today so I expensed a nice 10LB aged brisket and marinated it in Shiner, Allegro and Onions.

I pulled it out today an pureed the onions and made a paste to smear all over the brisket.

Seasond it today and threw it on at about 180. Since im unemployed no im hoping to drink and watch the temp through the night. It seems to be holding still at 185 right now.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

Comments

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Sorry to hear about your job loss.  I'm sure the BBQ and beers will help your soul a bit. Best of luck in your future endeavors. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • TUTTLE871
    Sorry to hear about your job loss.  I'm sure the BBQ and beers will help your soul a bit. Best of luck in your future endeavors. 
    No worries, Got layed off at 10AM today and have had two phone interviews. I feel like it was a blessing in disquise.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243

It sometimes is.     Good luck with the interviews.    When one door closes God opens another.    

Let us see the brisket when done.

Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Sgt93
    No worries, Got layed off at 10AM today and have had two phone interviews. I feel like it was a blessing in disquise.
    Well in that case congrats! 
  • TUTTLE871

It sometimes is.     Good luck with the interviews.    When one door closes God opens another.    

Let us see the brisket when done.

What was crazy about it I got layed off on the phone and I had my house keeper here cleaning, so I had to lay her off as well. She told me "People dont Open doors God does"

I felt good after that. But still had to let her go till I find a new job.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Good luck with the job hunt. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • gtk10583
    gtk10583 Posts: 77
    Happened to me 3 years ago after working for the comp'ny for 17 years.  Enjoy life, be happy, keep on "egg'n" and things will work themselves out.
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Well hopefully the republicans won't get back into the white house and destroy the economy again.  You guys are just finally scraping yourselves out!  Good luck!
    Do we really need to have this conversation here?!?
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Nope
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Bummer!  Been there done that when I worked at TI.  Best thing that ever happened to me.  Probably would have pidgin-holed me into a very narrow career and I would never have had the opportunities and the travels I have enjoyed for the last 22 years with my current company.  Best of luck to you.
    PS if you have LCMS experience email me.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Here is some advice from somebody you should never take advice from (and you will soon see why): just get really drunk for about a week. Don't shave or put on clothes of any stature. Look at life from a new lens for a bit and get a little weird with it. Go do something you've wanted to do or disappear for a day or 2 with buddies or even alone.

Sounds like a good opportunity for a reset and I'm all about that.

This is a gift (assuming you do not have a rap sheet and do have marketable skills).

Another small bit of advice: if you get busted with a hooker in Thailand, or a bale of weed in your car during your sabbatical, accelerate your job search as your case winds it's way through the system. Remember, the question on the application starts with have you ever been CONVICTED of any of the following :)

You are welcome.

Cen tex.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TUTTLE871
    Here is some advice from somebody you should never take advice from (and you will soon see why): just get really drunk for about a week. Don't shave or put on clothes of any stature. Look at life from a new lens for a bit and get a little weird with it. Go do something you've wanted to do or disappear for a day or 2 with buddies or even alone. Sounds like a good opportunity for a reset and I'm all about that. This is a gift (assuming you do not have a rap sheet and do have marketable skills). Another small bit of advice: if you get busted with a hooker in Thailand, or a bale of weed in your car during your sabbatical, accelerate your job search as your case winds it's way through the system. Remember, the question on the application starts with have you ever been CONVICTED of any of the following :) You are welcome. Cen tex.

Thank You for that advice. i was buying razor blades today and said to myself So you need these? so I took them back and bought a case of Bud Light.

Told my Wife Im spending the weekend with her at the lake house and then im coming come and heading off to Oklahoma for 3 days alone and going fly fishing

Thanks Cen Tex. And yes I have been to Thailand and spent a month in Subic Bay. but those are stories that only the Devil will know.

Also Folks the Brisket is chugging along and looks awesome.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Sounds like you have this well under control (and like we hang out some time) :))
  • Sgt93
    And your in Dallas TX so you win over me living in IL with a job....... :) 
  • TUTTLE871
    Bummer!  Been there done that when I worked at TI.  Best thing that ever happened to me.  Probably would have pidgin-holed me into a very narrow career and I would never have had the opportunities and the travels I have enjoyed for the last 22 years with my current company.  Best of luck to you.
    PS if you have LCMS experience email me.  

Did tons of work for TI and Raytheon. The crazy thing about it I get canned at 10AM and had two interviews in one day. Only field I know is Electrical connectors.

Thanks for the offer though.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• And I'm in Austin and have a job (lord knows why) so i got you both beat!
  • TUTTLE871

Here is Round 2 of the Brisket, Just Smoked a Cigar and Drank a nice Bottle of wine (Thanks Company That Layed me Off)

Its looking good. The Meat is holding steady at 135.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Close the dome, drink the wine, smoke the cigar.
  • TUTTLE871

Have Done all those, Wife is Ok with me staying up all night and cooking food and hanging out with my Mensa friends in the yard.

Mensa will not miss these guys.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Sounds like my kind of crew.
  • Good luck on the job hunt. I do know one thing, brisket makes everything better.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Sorry to hear that, Tuttle.  Good luck in finding another one.

In the mean time, I wanna hear "Fire In The Hole" from you.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Tuttle, I work at Raytheon here in DFW, let me know if there are any reqs you want me to refer you for.
  • Ok so did you get a new gig? Did you catch any fish? How was the brisket?....come onnn don't leave us hangin!
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Well hopefully the republicans won't get back into the white house and destroy the economy again.  You guys are just finally scraping yourselves out!  Good luck!
    WOW, that's really taking the long way around to a conservative bash. Usually your misguided insults are more clever.

Good luck Tuttle871.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Dang broseph, that kinda sucks. Good luck with the job hunt. We expect lots of cook posts now that you have the time
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    For every door that closes another one opens, but sometimes the hallway can be a b*tch.

Good luck on your search, and I admire your attitude!  
    :)>-

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• TUTTLE871

Thanks everybody!!

I stayed up till 3AM and watched my fire and consummed alot of Adult Beverages. Got up at 7AM and fire was still holding steady at 185. Internal 175  now.

I threw om some sausage now.

Also have another phone interview today.

"FIRE IN THE HOLE!!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @ OP-Thailand and Subic...sounds like you spent some time in the USN at the well-known "adult Disneyland" ports:)  Tough deal with the job, but you have the near-term game plan dialed-in.  With your attitude you will do well down the road.  Best of luck and enjoy the brisket:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Nothing preps you for an interview like staying up getting hammered till 3 am in he back yard! Sounds like something i would do. You'll probably hit it out of the park. Good luck.