Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt, when to pull?

Options
cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a butt for Friday night. I plan on starting it tonight so it will be done around 4 tomorrow. The problem is that I have to travel 2 hours with them before eating. I was planning on wrapping in foil and towels and putting it in a cooler for the trip. Would you guys pull the pork first, or pull when you get there? I want them to be hot without reheating.
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    If your timing works out right when it is done I would put in the cooler for the trip and pull when I got there for sure.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    If your timing works out right when it is done I would put in the cooler for the trip and pull when I got there for sure.
    +1 The pork will stay hot in the cooler for 3 to 4 hours.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Thanks guys, that is what I thought. Butts are rubbed down, injected, and sitting in the refrigerator. Going on at around 2 A.M. Hopefully they'll be done by 4 P.M. Butts are about 7 lbs each.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan-and remember, you can crank up the temp to punch it home if things drag on beyond your guesstimates.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    +1 The pork will retain it's moisture better this way.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    All good above. It will stay hot for many hours if you wrap in foil and towels in a cooler. I've had them stay warm for 8+ that way. No worries, pull them when you get there.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX