Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn?!

bvanma28
bvanma28 Posts: 57
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Any ideas on whole ears of corn on the xl? Husk on, off?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited May 2012
    Same as the Mini: Off. S&P, put very little butter or oil in hands and rub.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I've tried husked, unhusked, soaked, unsoaked, and I guess I prefer husked unsoaked and raised direct.  Not really much of a difference, but soaking takes time and husking after grilling is messy, so hey, lazy man's way!  
    Make sure to mix up some mayo, minced chipotle, lime and salt to spread on before eating!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I've tried husked, unhusked, soaked, unsoaked, and I guess I prefer husked unsoaked and raised direct.  Not really much of a difference, but soaking takes time and husking after grilling is messy, so hey, lazy man's way!  
    Make sure to mix up some mayo, minced chipotle, lime and salt to spread on before eating!  
    +1 on the Mexican Street Corn Setup. Freaking awesome.

I do this almost almost every time now. Got it from Cooks Illustrated:

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

I gotta say, mayo on hot corn sounds really disgusting.  But the picture Cen-Tex linked to looked good so I may have to give it a try???
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Husks off, direct raised cook at about 375, rotate quarter turn every two minutes.  Cook for a total of 8-10 minutes.  The smokey flavor is so much better than boiling.

• Make sure to mix up some mayo, minced chipotle, lime and salt to spread on before eating!  
    I gotta say, mayo on hot corn sounds really disgusting.  But the picture Cen-Tex linked to looked good so I may have to give it a try???
    Correct. Sounds horrible but it's awesome. Would have never thought to try it.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I remove all the crap under the husk but leave enough husk to protect during cooking. Once the corn is hot its a pain to get all those hairs or whatever its called out. Mexican street corn will be cooked this weekend.
  • Silk is the proper term but pain in the arse is more accurate. If you do cook in the husk, it is recommended by those much smarter than cen tex to remove the silk as you do before cooking.
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112

COS,
      Break it down to its main ingredients, oil and lemon juice.It's just in an emulsified version so it sticks better.  Learned that trick working in a seafood market.  We used it to grill swordfish and shark steaks.  Its great !
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372

I remove the husks, brush with butter, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese. Then wrap in HDAF. On the EGG at around 350 for about an hour. Sometimes I also add a sprinkle or two of a good dry rub before wrapping.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i leave the silk in when cooking, my thoughts are that opening the husks to remove the silk lets out moisture when cooking it. and the silk is easier to remove when its hot, it simply comes off with the husk when you peel it back when hot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PapaB
    PapaB Posts: 146
    I pull the husks back, get rid of the silk, pull the husks back in place, put in a pot of water until ready to cook.  Cook indirect for about an hour rotating 90 degrees until husks are near burnt around.  Great flavor, add whatever you like to dress it with when you eat it.

• Make sure to mix up some mayo, minced chipotle, lime and salt to spread on before eating!  
    COS,
      Break it down to its main ingredients, oil and lemon juice.It's just in an emulsified version so it sticks better.  Learned that trick working in a seafood market.  We used it to grill swordfish and shark steaks.  Its great !
    And egg whites........
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I've tried husked, unhusked, soaked, unsoaked, and I guess I prefer husked unsoaked and raised direct.  Not really much of a difference, but soaking takes time and husking after grilling is messy, so hey, lazy man's way!  

And top with some Cojita cheese (or parm if you live in an area you can't get Mexican cheese.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I've tried husked, unhusked, soaked, unsoaked, and I guess I prefer husked unsoaked and raised direct.  Not really much of a difference, but soaking takes time and husking after grilling is messy, so hey, lazy man's way!  

And top with some Cojita cheese (or parm if you live in an area you can't get Mexican cheese.
    Yep. If that is not in this recipe, it should be. I do that every time.

• bvanma28
    bvanma28 Posts: 57
    Well I pulled back the husk, de-silked, added butter, placed husk back, wrapped in foil and put on at 400 for 30 mins. Actually ate it just like that with nothing else added. Good enough. Next time I'll get more creative.
  • Wickedpope
    Wickedpope Posts: 2
    I remove the husk and the silks. I then brush with mayo and roll in Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle a little cayenne on for flavor and wrap in foil. My family raves about them. I think it was a Paula Deen recipe.
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    edited May 2012
    I soak with husk for at least a half hour.  Stick them on direct and when they are done, I cut through the corn at the closest point on the cob next to the stem.  With this small portion off, hold the corn up by the top of the husk and shake.  The corn falls out.

XL BGE
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    I remove the husks and silk, rub it down with a light coating of extra virgin olive oil, then sprinkle with Montreal Steak Seasoning. I cook it raised, direct, at 375-400 (essentially, at whatever temp I'm cooking the meat at), turning every few minutes until either the meat is done, or the corn starts getting a little browned around the edges. Once pulled, I wrap each ear in aluminum foil, until served.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Doesn't the corn get burnt before being tender when cooking direct without the husk or without soaking whether it has a husk or not?
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Silk is the proper term but pain in the arse is more accurate. If you do cook in the husk, it is recommended by those much smarter than cen tex to remove the silk as you do before cooking.
    i leave the silk in when cooking, my thoughts are that opening the husks to remove the silk lets out moisture when cooking it. and the silk is easier to remove when its hot, it simply comes off with the husk when you peel it back when hot
    I agree with Fishless.  Silk is easier to remove after cooking.  It is dryer and less sticky to the corn.  It almost falls off.