Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So I decided to start building my table this past weekend (pics inside)

XLBalco
XLBalco Posts: 607
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

with every intention of keeping it simple.  I saw the plans naked whiz had and the plans on the BGE site and decided to do something along those lines.  Then I started looking at Cazzy's and started googling some more images...  nonetheless, I have about a day to a day and a half into my table and it has turned into much more than I had planned on....  Hopefully the time put in will pay off when it is done...

If I had to do it over though.. I would already have it stained by now and would of kept to the simple design.. This thing will probably weigh over 400lbs when it is said and done.  yikes!

it started with a small pile of lumber and some simple plans and .... errr a left over piece of drywall :)...

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Great start. Trust me, you will forget about the extra time/ expense when it's finished and you are using it.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Trust me when you are done you will sit back and admire what you have done.
    T.JPG 368.5K

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• XLBalco

thats what i am hoping!  i actually looked at yours too for the storage bins and thought about doing that.. then it changed into 2 drawers instead on the right side of the table.. under the egg i think i will put a bin on that shelf with a door.. not sure yet..

the real challenge will be getting this from the garage, around the side of the house, past the deck and then up 3 steps onto the actual deck.. i had planned on putting it all together but now am considering biscuit cutting the top and putting that on after i get the egg on the deck...  although i am putting the cart before the horse now!  that step is a lonnnnnnnnnng way off

• horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Wow, very nice. I have zero woodworking skills, I could not even cut a board in half without making uneven pieces and ruining one of them. Seeing a table come together is like magic to me. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Looking very good. Have you decided what protection you are going to use on the table?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Good start sir! Looking forwar to seeing the finished result!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Fantastic looking start.
    You guys kill me. Every time I think I have a table planned out, I see some good ideas I want to incorporate in mine.
    @XLBalco: what type of wood is that? On my phone it looks like PT, gonna cover it?
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • XLBalco
    edited May 2012

@taz -  you are correct, the guts are PT...  Cedar will cover it.  the 4x4's are cedar obviously.  hopefully when it is done you will not see one fastner

@ austin - havent decided on a stain color just yet or varnish.

also debating whether to inlay the 18x18 tile i bought.  while i like the look of it, i also like the look of seeing all that wood.  i may just lay the tile on top when it is needed for certain cooks.

• tazcrash

also debating whether to inlay the 18x18 tile i bought.  while i like the look of it, i also like the look of seeing all that wood.  i may just lay the tile on top when it is needed for certain cooks.

Sound similar to what I was designing. Good luck on hiding the fasteners. I was hoping to do somehtijng similar.

OK, think for the table top, I was going to building 2'X2'X2" boxes with some middle support, and just lay a 2'X2' tile on top, (giant hot plate. If it burns or cracks, it's easy to replace, etc..). 
    then I would line up of those 3 boxes, (2 on ends with tile, middle empty to hold egg. Wrap the whole thing in "show" wood 1"X4"(cedar, oak, etc..) and build flush with the tile top, and use the show wood as dividers between the boxes to make a flush top with some nice "lines". 
    Then I was debating doing the same thing for the bottom (portion under egg built to hold a 2X2X2" paver), Or... Building normal wood slat table on bottom with cutout for paver.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • XLBalco
    i am going back and forth about the paver as well.. I was going to cut out for it but I dont think I am going to.  I think I am just going to put the cedar down and put the paver on top.  not sure if there is a real benefit in hiding 1" of the 2" paver?
  • tazcrash
    I was planning totally flush. 
    to me, the  hiding 1" of a 2" paver is just a finish thing. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • XLBalco
    i agree..  hopefully i will get another full day on it this week and complete the majority of it.. i guess depending on my mood and effort - that will determine what i do :)
  • You guys gotta stop with the pavers. I went to the landscape place where my pool installer bought the stone for my coping. They sold me a wet sawn 24x18x1.5 piece of stone for $10/sqrft. It's the full depth if my base so there is no lip for ash to collect it.

We put so much into these custom tables, don't settle for some big box store paver.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • XLBalco

that is not a bad alternative. I'll see as  get more into it this week

• cazzy
    Pavers? We don't need no stinkin' pavers!
  • XLBalco

started back at it today... coming together slowwwwwwwwwly due to self inflicted wounds.. i cant stop from making more modifications as i go

• tazcrash
    Looking good. 
    Right now I've changed previous designs so many times, It looks like i might be appropriating ( :) )  your design. It gives a solid base, fairly easy cuts, and a large space for storing the extras. 

Is that all 1X4 cedar planking to cover? And build shelves? 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • XLBalco
    edited May 2012

it is wrapped in 1x4's.  the shelves are1x6  deck boards - that will be the table top also.

the major issue here is the weight - lol..  using all that pt lumber is just a killer!

• XLBalco

not really a strong day today working on the table.. wrapped the exterior and trying to figure out what i want to do in the front.  origianlly was going to go with pull out drawers, then i was thinking  maybe a door... i think i am just going to keep the right side fully open and i can put a decent size tote in there.

i wish this thing was done already!

was thinking about what color to stain as well.. that will be probably a week's worth of thinking :)

• It looks awesome so far. I just brought home my Large BGE and used it for the first time last weekend. I have making a nice table on my rardar screen (I have a nest for now), but I wish I had your skills.
  • cazzy
    Sikkens Teak Finish gets my vote. Looks great on cedar
  • It looks awesome so far. I just brought home my Large BGE and used it for the first time last weekend. I have making a nice table on my rardar screen (I have a nest for now), but I wish I had your skills.
    Wayne, you could make a nest hugger. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1139185/nest-hugger-table
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • XLBalco
    It looks awesome so far. I just brought home my Large BGE and used it for the first time last weekend. I have making a nice table on my rardar screen (I have a nest for now), but I wish I had your skills.

thanks... i gotta be honest though. i am building this with my brother and i guess you can call him a mastercarpenter.

as this table takes shape we toss new ideas at it and he makes it work

Sikkens Teak Finish gets my vote. Looks great on cedar

hadnt thought of using any marine stains, not a bad idea.. was looking at basic minwax or something..  i think i might put 2 additonal coats on the posts and horizontal trim boards to darkern them up and make them really stand out... that is still so far away though- there is going to be alot of sanding 1st which i am dreading
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    This may be a silly question, but where do you get the lumber for this?  When I browse those aisles at Home Depot or Lowes, the only 4x4s I see are kind of rough looking (crappy looking compared to yours) and pressure treated.  They look more like fence posts than nice table legs.  Is what you used a better grade of lumber, or the result of lots of sanding?
  • cazzy
    That's what mine is finished with. At least everything but the redwood top. That is sikkens clear.
  • XLBalco

been a couple of weeks since i have been able to work on my table and the more i think about it not being done.. the more depressed i get.. so tonight i made a decent dent...  this will be my last update til i am done i think :)

all that is left is putting a 1x4 band board around the top(underneath the eventual table top)... and then build the table top..

from there- lots of sanding to do.. lots and lots of sanding...  then i think i am just going to clear coat it and call it a day.. been going back and forth on what to do and think i am set on that after seeing some others just clear coat it.

tonite i also built a door for the right side.. i actually made it look like 2 drawers and routed it etc and threw it up there and decided i didnt like it.. it simulated the look of drawers but i decided i didnt like the lines.. i think i am going to leave it open as is and decide later if i want a door or not.. thats an easy fix

i also routed one of the deck boards to decide if i wanted one or both sides of the table with an inwards arch.. i still cant decide if i like the look of one or two.... another tough decision :).  i feel much more motivated to get this done now!

so here are my pics...  see you on the finished side!

• tazcrash
    Looking good.
    I like the cutouts for standing closer.
    Are you leaving any gaps in the top?
    Also looking forward to see what is going to happen on right side.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • XLBalco

not leaving any gaps on the top.. i plan on using a biscuit joiner to secure it all together. yea i dont know what to do on the right side.. i think it is going to look a little unfinished without some sort of drawer or door there but we'll see.  2 other thoughts i had is this is the perfect see t up for a future egg purchase!!.. or i also thought about getting some sort of stained glass art work and making a door out of that. 

• 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    "biscuit joiner "  don't you watch TV?

• tazcrash

yea i dont know what to do on the right side.. i think it is going to look a little unfinished without some sort of drawer or door there but we'll see. 

For me, my table will need plenty of storage. I'm thinking of putting something like this in one: 
    in there to organize the stuff (I have a store local, and they make drawers 20" square (big enough to store racks for a large) .
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!!