Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Intro

Options
killborn
killborn Posts: 37
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello to all, just joined up and thought I would say hello.
Been nagging my fiance for months now that I want to get the Egg and she surprised me with a Large BGE with the Large table on my return from a guys weekend (I should go away more often).
After reading a few recommendations here I opted to seal/stain with the Danish oil, which seems to work. I am in Central Texas and with the high summer heat and the rain season, I opted to keep it covered, so ordered that in.

Being from South Africa originally I love to cook out and most always cook out on my firepit. I have not been able to smoke with my pit and have been very excited to get going on the egg.
After a couple low and slow cooks of skinless chicken thighs and ribs, I went for my first ever brisket. I did cheat a bit and bought a seasoned brisket from the local HEB. It was trimmed well and at about 10lb it was just what I needed. 
I added some good smoking chunks to my lumpcoal and got the Egg fired up. Put the plate setter legs up with a drip pan below.  Stabilized it at 250 and put the brisket on at about 1800 in the evening. I kept an eye on it until about midnight. The temperature remained pretty constant and I felt comfortable leaving it overnight. 

Woke up at 0530 and checked the brisket. Temp had dropped down to about 100 and heading down, I managed to revive it and get it back to where I wanted it. I have no idea how and when the temp would have dropped? Any recommendations on keeping it steady without having to buy a gadget?

I kept the brisket on for a few more hours and at 1100 I was ready to foil it. I just knew when I took it off that it would be a good one. Brisket was at 200 internal and like butter. The brisket was for a lunch on Saturday, so after foiling I kept in the fridge overnight and reheated to a 165 internal temp. Brisket was a hit and I was very happy with my first attempt.

After my first couple cooks, my gasket did have some burn marks on the edge, rather than wait I emailed BGE and I have a new nomex gasket in the mail. I am still good for now on the original gasket.

Couple things to improve on:

I don't think I was getting enough smoke from the wood chunks. Do I need them on top of the coal or mixed in?
How can I regulate dome temp better for overnight cooking? It just sort of died on me somewhere during midnight and 0530..

Look forward to participating and can't wait to get the egg fired up for the next meal.

Thank you to all of you for very valuable information!

Comments

• Wreckt01
    Wreckt01 Posts: 28
    Options
    I've noticed on long smokes it really helps to be diligent with the lump. By that i mean, make sure you have large pieces and the bottom of the box and work your way up getting smaller and smaller.  This helps prevent the air flow from cutting cut off and ash falls.  I also put a wood few chucks half 1/3 the way down in the lump and 4 good chunks on top right when i put the meat on. Just my two cents, but hopefully it helps
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options

Welcome-I know that "Central Texas" covers a lot of territory but there are several from the general area who frequent this forum and are quite knowledgeable.  I'm sure they will be along in good time.  I am neither of the previous...but I will offer a few observations from your questions above:

a.  Chunks or chips-from a wood perspective , no difference-the key is that the fire (which is quite small in the 250*F range) has to be where the wood is.  I use chips (since I have lots from a previous life) and disperse them throughout the lump load.  Whereever the fire is, there is wood...can't comment on chunks, but location would apply.

b.  Loss of the fire-I am fairly confident that the reason was loss of air flow (assumes you had plenty of lump loaded-if not then it's a fuel issue).  So given all was stable for hours how did this happen...best guess...ash build-up blocking the fire grate holes.  The actions you took to revive the fire will guide you in the potential cause and ways to mitigate it down-the-road.

Fantastic gift-you (and she) will thoroughly enjoy-but beware, this BGE deal can become addictive...

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    edited May 2012
    Options

Here's a bit more info that I posted on a "Newby" post a few hours ago-may help you out-and here's a great intro link with lots of great info... http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Afew things I learned the hard way when getting going-when cooking indirect there is a dome to grate temp off-set (dome higher) of 20-40*F.  The longer the dome is closed the less the difference.  Unless otherwise mentioned, temperature references are dome temps.  The BGE loves to settle-in around 250*F (+/-) for low&slow.  Calibrate your dome thermo.

Wait til the smoke is clear before adding the food-"if it smells good then it's ready".  Air-flow (assuming enough fuel) is the key to temperature control. Get comfortable with temperature control.

Chips or chunks-doesn't matter and no need to soak.

Welcome and enjoy-when in doubt ask and you will get helpful support from this forum.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • killborn
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome and the information. Very good to know.. Will be browsing the forum and finding more useful tips.
    I have also been tryng to get hold of some of the ceramic feet for use with the paver on the table. I am just back from the dealer and it seems they might be having a hard time getting some from their dealer. Also just picked up the dual probe thermometer, which I am sure will help me some.

As for "Central Texas", I am in Round Rock, just north of Austin. The few I have seen post on here seem to be out in the South or West. I am sure I will find some local Eggers soon enough :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hey Killborn, I'm out in Lakeway so not too far. Mickey is in Salado, Joan (Austin Egghead) is in N. Austin, and Austin Smoker is out by me in Falcon Head if I remember right. There are several others. Cap has you on the right track. You'll get better at the fires and they will stabilize for you. It takes a little time but it will come to you. Great job on your 1st brisket. Many on here, your truly included, did not have such luck with our first....or 20th!

great to have you on board, be glad to help any way we can. I'll be glad to come over and help you out with setups etc if you run into trouble. You found the right spot
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex and Killborn-I need to transplant to Austin :)>-
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex and Killborn-I need to transplant to Austin :)>-
    my backyard :). It's actually my marina but it's right around the corner from my house. Life is good here Cap!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    Thought I would give you a link describing the collagen break down stall.
    http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/stallbbq.html
  • killborn
    Options
    Thanks again for the warm welcome. I will be sure to cry for help if and when I am stuck. Would be great to meet some of you all in the future..

Thanks also for the links and info above. Will check them. Won't be able to take my egg camping for the Memorial day weekend. Guess I will have to look into a mini soon.. 

Received my first order of Dizzy pig on recommendations from here and thinking of smoking some Salmon later today.. will have to find a good recipe on here!
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    Thought I would give you a link describing the collagen break down stall.
    http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/stallbbq.html
    I don't think you read the article.

I was using the term loosely as it has been used before and is familiar. I agree that evaporative cooling results in stalling.