Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Sides

Options
SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited May 2012 in Sides
What are your favorite sides to go with your BGE main dishes?

We like to make our own salsa to go with grilled chicken. The grilled chicken is set off pretty well by the fresh tomato-fresh cilantro and peppers flavors. The salsa works well with most any pork off the BGE, too. And, it's low fat. But we're kind of a one-trick pony when it comes to sides. Need a few more good ones to go with the salsa.

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    For me, it's asparagus with just salt, pepper & OO. use 2 soaked bamboo skewers, and make "rafts" (someone else here described them as such, and I liked it).
    I like to grill direct, and if the tips look like they are getting too much heat, lay down a strip of foil, and put the tips over the foil, and fold over to keep them from getting burnt. 
    Or Green and\or yellow squash, cut into 1/4" thick strips, marinated in Italian dressing (vinegar, not creamy), and grill direct.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Sausage!!!!   goes well with Brisket, PP, or Chicken.

Cookin in Texas
  • SteveWPBFL
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Spoken like a true Egger! Oh, hell, just throw in a quick steak!! (Sausage isn't a side dish with another meat! That's awesome! LOL!)

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Thats what my wife keeps telling me.

My latest favorite is to cut up squash, oninions, red peppers, asparagus and roast them indirect in a basket.   A very light coating of cooking spray on the basket - no other oil.    Salt Pepper, a little bit of rub and some powdered garlic.    ( I think its pretty healthy - got to be ).

Cookin in Texas
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Sausage isn't a side dish with another meat! LOL!

I beg to differ.
    It's a side if there is less of it than the main entree. ;)

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Grilled pineapple, with Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head for sure.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Like to hear a few details about that! We always have a pineapple in the house......
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    I beg to differ.
    It's a side if there is less of it than the main entree.
    Check, mate! (Gotta agree with that!)
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Like to hear a few details about that! We always have a pineapple in the house......

Very complicated cook here... I cut the pineapple into eights. Shake on the Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head rub, and grill for about 3 mins per side at about 350. Just for something different, last weekend I marinaded the pineapple slices for about an hour in Makers Mark, added the Pineapple Head and grilled as usual. It was really outstanding. Couldn't let the marinade go to waste, so made a nice cocktail...

Oh yes, let the rub sit for a bit before grilling -- maybe a half hour or hour or so.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

Asparagus - peeled first, blanched in the microwave for 90 seconds, marinated in olive oil, butter, lemon juice, and minced garlic for an hour, then grilled direct at 350 turning often until slightly scorched.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7
    Options
    Baked potatoes (regular and sweet) coated with EVOO and coarse salt, indirect at 350 until internal temp of 212.

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7
    Options

I haven't tried them yet, but hasselback potatoes are supposed to be really good on the egg too. 

Waunakee, WI

• SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Well dlk7, we cut some potatoes up into 'fries', shook them in a bag with EVOO and kosher salt, and threw them in the Egg at 400F dome indirect for maybe twenty minutes. They were just starting to brown when we pulled them, the natives were getting restless. Next time we'll let 'em brown a little more. Might even raise the dome temperature to 450 - 500F, too. They were great, fries with a charcoal taste, kind of like you get with pizza!
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    My girlfriend fixed this last night, not on the egg but I think I'll try it next time roasting the potatoes on the egg. Rachel Ray's deviled potato salad:

www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/deviled-potato-salad-recipe/index.html

I thought it was very good. Frank's & potatoes it can't be bad.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Squash boats. Cut them lenthwise and hollow them out. Keep the inside. Mix it in a bowl with different cheese and whatever else you want and then refill the squash. Kind of like a twice baked squash. Lay them on the grate and they are so good.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013