Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice For Replacing A Gasket

BigTex33
BigTex33 Posts: 40
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just toasted my felt gasket to a crisp and now have to replace the gasket.  I have purchased the Nomex Replacement Gasket from BGE and the 3M Super77 adhesive.  Does anyone have some advice on the best way to remove the old gasket and prevent overspray from getting everywhere?  Thanks.

Comments

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Get it hot and the old gasket comes off very easy. My over spray was minimal without using anything. The little over spray cleaned up easily with acetone. I also sprayed the nomex. Don't fire it up for a couple of days.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Spray the Super77 into an old cup and brush it on with a small paint brush.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• cmkratt
    cmkratt Posts: 54
    If you search for "Nomex Gasket," you'll find a link to a youtube video that walks you through everything you need to know on removing the gasket and protecting against overspray. It's the video where the guy is replacing the gasket inside his store. I replaced my gasket this weekend following the instructions from the video, and it was a much easier job than I expected. The toughest part was having the egg out of commision for a day!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Easy. Don't do it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    This is how I did mine. Scraped off with an automotive gasket remover(really just a holder for a single edge razor) than acetone, than sanded with my DA and 60 grit sandpaper till it was down to white ceramic. Cut a template out of cardboard that matched about half the egg, sprayed the adhesive on the egg, than went outside and sprayed one side of the gasket. Than just gently place the gasket around the edge, don't stretch it!  I preshrunk mine in the oven, uncoiled in a 300 degree convection for a hour. IDK if it made a difference, but at least I knew it was totally dry.
  • BigTex33
    BigTex33 Posts: 40
    Gasket changed.  My Nomex gasket roll was actually in 2 pieces.  It seemed as if I got the end of 1 large roll and the beginning of another in the factory.  So I actually have 3 seems around my XL.  (They are all staggered.)  If this gasket burns away with a high heat sear, I'm gonna go gasket-less from here on out.  Gonna let this thing sit for a couple of days before firing it up.  Do I need to go low and slow for a cook before I sear steaks?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I cook on mine the next day only needs a 24 hour cure. That sucks your gasket was 2 pieces I'd be pissed. The Nomex gasket is pretty good but high heat pizza (700 plus) will still kill it after a couple times. You won't hurt the nomex gasket with a high heat sear. I just put a nomex on my mini and was doing tri tip last night and the outside of the dome on the mini was reading 575 on the IR thermometer and the gasket is fine. I have done pizza plenty of times in the 500-550 range and it holds up fine. I prefer to have a gasket on my eggs.
  • ducksbuddy
    ducksbuddy Posts: 56
    I fried my gasket after 8 times using, i am a newbee with a new egg is there any gasket out there that will withstand 700° plus for any length of time? And now what I'm gathering is is that is a gasket really even necessary? I am looking to replace the gasket and from what I've been reading nomex is the thing to get but if it fries after a couple uses on pizza do I really want to get nomex?
  • ducksbuddy
    I fried my gasket after 8 times using, i am a newbee with a new egg is there any gasket out there that will withstand 700° plus for any length of time? And now what I'm gathering is is that is a gasket really even necessary? I am looking to replace the gasket and from what I've been reading nomex is the thing to get but if it fries after a couple uses on pizza do I really want to get nomex?
  • ducksbuddy
    One of the reasons I purchased the big green egg is so that I can cook at very high temperatures for given lenghts of time and it's kind of upsetting to me knowing that If I cook at high temps I might be replacing gaskets on a regular basis,
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Rutland gasket will last through whatever temps you put it through...it will be the last gasket you change.
  • Lit
    The high temps aren't the issue its the 30 minutes at high temps with the dome closed want that fries the nomex gasket. You can sear whatever you want as hot as you want and be fine.
  • ducksbuddy
    Thank you so much, I will give the rutland a try, is there any one place you recomend to get it?
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I bought my rutland from Amazon along with a tube of Permatex ultra copper for right at $15 total.
  • Lit
    Rutland gasket will last through whatever temps you put it through...it will be the last gasket you change.
    I just installed the nomex gasket because my Rutland failed. The permatex quit sticking.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    @lit....I've heard that here lately (maybe from you). You're in the very small minority that have had that problem.

I've heard of and seen the nomex gasket itself fry, not the adhesive....
  • Lit
    I believe stike said his Rutland failed also. I put a nomex on one of my larges the same time i put the Rutland on my small and the super 77 and Nomex outlasted the permatex and Rutland. Just my experience. I posted pictures in the last week or so. The permatex was still on the egg and still on the Rutland gasket it just failed.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    I thought stike said he had the black Rutland adhesive fail not the Permatex, but I could be wrong on that one...
  • Lit
    Plus if you lean on the Rutland it makes your arms itch like fiberglass
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Ha...never had the urge to lean on it.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Plus if you lean on the Rutland it makes your arms itch like fiberglass
    Oh BS!!  You must have some tender skin sweetheart, cause I could floss with them and not get a rash.   I've had them on my four eggs, including my mini (which can go nuclear) for approaching four years and haven't burned one up with the Ultra Copper adhesive.  BTW, I fried a couple of the free Nomex gaskets from BGE before I saw the light.  Excuse me now while I go rub myself down with anti-itch cream.  LOL!!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    rutland adhesive failed, not the rutland
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante