Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

disaster with new egg...help fast!

Options
michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm literally at 600 degrees as I type his
...first time trying pizza on the XL..some time between when I pout thepizza on and now something bad happened
I cannot open my egg now...the mechanism seems out of sync
I don't know what to do, I loosened bolts and tightened them but still the lid will not open easily and seems as if I am going to break it if I try too hard
.. excuse he typos but I am on my phone and panicking

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493
    Options
    Sounds like ya fried the gasket together.How many cook have you had on it?
    LET'S EAT
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I agree, it sounds like fried gasket...
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I did not think the gasket would stick while hot, but that does sound like what happened.  Use something to gently pry the dome off.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Shut it down and let it cool. The gasket fried and melted your egg shut. Once it cools start a small fire through the bottom vent to warm it up and then get a putty knife and run it
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    No this is not the problem...the gasket is gone...but it is not stuck, I can open it freely...just a few inches and it feels tight...something is not lined up..

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Sounds horrible. I know I read to do the first few cooks at a low temp.  I am thinking about just putting some lump in and running it slow to get her broken in. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    I have already cooked 14 hours! It is something wrong with the mechanism contrillig the lid lifting.

• Sgt93
    Options
    Did you do your first few cooks low temp? (I am learning as I type as you know). 
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Yes low and slow baby backs and a pork butt...

• Sgt93
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Did you check the back hinges for anything out of place (bent metal, obstructions etc)?

• michigan_jason
    Options
    I loostened all the bolts and it is now flowing freely...I am really concerned though.

• Sgt93
    Options
    Wow, I would be as well. I didn't even assemble mine which is good and bad. The bad being I don't have the extra bond of knowing the parts and their assembly.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    My band fell off on one pizza cook and I had to shut it down and put it all back together the next day. I'm sure the high heat just caused it to go out of adjustment. Can't really hurt anything but he gasket.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    My band fell off on one pizza cook and I had to shut it down and put it all back together the next day. I'm sure the high heat just caused it to go out of adjustment. Can't really hurt anything but he gasket.

After carefully inspecting it, my buddy and I noticed the bands were out of line, we adjusted them, and made some tweaks and all is opening and closing properly now. Today I get to put my new nomex on because pizza made my stock gasket go away lol. The pizzas were out of this world for our first time trying it though!

• Coastalcooker
    Coastalcooker Posts: 185
    Options
    BGE assembly instructions say to go to I believe 125 inch pounds on the band tension bolts.
    That's about 11 foot pounds. This may be the problem.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• michigan_jason
    Options
    I need a torque wrench I say..

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options

After carefully inspecting it, my buddy and I noticed the bands were out of line, we adjusted them, and made some tweaks and all is opening and closing properly now. Today I get to put my new nomex on because pizza made my stock gasket go away lol. The pizzas were out of this world for our first time trying it though!

Very glad to hear you worked it out!
  • michigan_jason
    Options

Yea, it was scary! Especially because I had this beauty in there when it wouldnt open!image

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    It was surprisingly good for my first attempt, cant wait to try it again.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Tasty looking pie, i still need to make a solid one.
    How about some pics of where the problem was?
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lkgmadmax
    lkgmadmax Posts: 21
    Options
    Jason looks good!  There is nothing wrong with the method you used to cook the pizza, but next time you might try not using the grate, flip your plate setter over feet down and place your pizza stone directly on the flat side of the plate setter and see how you like the results.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    I have fixed it now, but the metal bands that secure the top and bottom of the egg loostened up due to the heat im guessing and started to move. With them out of line, it would not allow the dome to open.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Jason looks good!  There is nothing wrong with the method you used to cook the pizza, but next time you might try not using the grate, flip your plate setter over feet down and place your pizza stone directly on the flat side of the plate setter and see how you like the results.

Will do, but can I ask the reasoning?

• cmkratt
    cmkratt Posts: 54
    Options
    I'd like to hear Max's reasoning, but I've heard that the airflow under the stone allows for better heat distribution (convective vs conductive heating). Also, with the platesetter legs up, the heat/flame from the fire is directed to the wall below the gasket instead of directly at the gasket. Saves on gasket life. Last time I did pizza, I used this setup, and it worked lilke a champs (sorry, no pics!)
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    Very good looking pizza. 
  • Sgt93
    Options
    I'm starving now after seeing that pic. I am a pizza connoisseur and can't wait to make some on the BGE 
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    Options
    The instruction say that you should check the band tensioner at least once a month, since they can come loose due to heat expansion.  I check mine every cook (well when I think about it ;P) Maybe that what happened, the band loosened up and slipped causing your problem.  I have only had my egg about a month and have not yet found the tension bolt to be loose.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mine's gone once in 8 years. Every cook might be a little extreme but can't hurt.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I have used this method (above) in the past but have been getting much better results with the set up you show in the pics. I also find that multiple pizzas cook more consistently with the pizza stone directly on the grate. FWIW.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC