Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preparing for gasket replacement

Options
twlangan
twlangan Posts: 307
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been cooking on my LBGE for several weeks now and have been pretty pleased with myself that I have not damaged my stock gasket more than about 1/16" in from the inside edge - pretty consistent all the way around. I did my 2nd pizza Fri night and for some reason, this one charred my gasket about 50% through in one spot, about 5" long on the right, lower side. The upper gasket charred a bit too in the same spot, but not as bad as the lower. I was extremely careful when assembling the Egg to make sure the bands were straight all the way around so the dome sat flat on the base with no gaps. I really do not know why this happened all of a sudden like this.

Anyhow, I still have half the thickness of the gasket left in that spot (rest of the gasket is still fine) and plan to use it until it goes completely. I figured I may as well plan ahead and get a new one to have on hand so I can get it replaced right away when the day comes. I plan to go with the Rutland/Permatex but have a few questions of those who have been down this path:

1. In reading Naked Whiz's interactions, I get the idea that the 5/8" wide Rutland needs to be widened out to fit the width of the Egg base - and that reduces the 84" length. Seems like a lot of farting around. Why can't the gasket be applied in its normal 5/8" state and just carefully centered on the base edge? I would think as long as there is a seal there, it would be good to go. Are people widening it for looks only - or does it need to be widened to reduce the thickness for some reason?

2. I would imagine that the upper dome band would need to be loosened and re-set due to the different thickness of the Rutland compared to the felt. I tightened the crap out of my bands per the instructions. Bolt is badly bent and the L-shaped tabs on the ends of the band are bent as well. I cannot imagine being able to get that bolt back out without cutting it - which is not an issue since I own a bolt cutter. However, with the tabs bent, I cannot see getting a new bolt inserted through them. Are you guys having to straighten those tabs back out to get it back together?

3. If I end up having to cut the bolt, is there a specific hardness of carriage bolt that it needs to be replaced with? I've been working on farm equipment my whole life and have rarely seen a bolt that would bend as far as the BGE supplied bolt without breaking. It appears to me to be a fairly soft bolt.

I would appreciate some advice and tips here...

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    After reading several posts on here, I put on a Rutland last weekend and following the advice of others, only put it on the base of the BGE.

I have done a 15 hour low and slow, a pizza and a burnout since then and the gasket is working perfectly.
  • twlangan
    Options
    After reading several posts on here, I put on a Rutland last weekend and following the advice of others, only put it on the base of the BGE.

I have done a 15 hour low and slow, a pizza and a burnout since then and the gasket is working perfectly.
    Did you widen the 5/8" out to 1" or more to cover the lip of the base? I planned to do the bottom only too - but wondered if I could just apply it without having to widen it out.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    1. It's really not that much farting around...if I can figure it out, anyone can. :)

2. I didn't have to make any band adjustments and have had no issues

3. Try #2, then cross this bridge, but you should be able to get bolts from BGE dealer
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options

Did you widen the 5/8" out to 1" or more to cover the lip of the base? I planned to do the bottom only too - but wondered if I could just apply it without having to widen it out.
    I just put it on like it came in the package, making sure that I kept it even on the inner edge of the rim.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2012
    Options
    1.) When you push the Rutland down into the Permatex, it just widens on it's own, there's no trick and there's nothing to it.

2.) You only put the Rutland on either the top or bottom, not both.  Two crappy felt gaskets width top AND bottom) equal one thicker Rutland gasket.  You don't have to re-adjust.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• twlangan
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, guys.