Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Accessories - BGE's Miss the Mark

SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I love my Egg. However, I'm not impressed with BGE accessories. I think they missed that whole matrix. The plate setter is a good example. It's kind of limited and doesn't allow for much set up variation. Their rib rack is sophmoric, and so on. When I look at their accessories I don't see much that I need or want. And cost seems pretty high, even for the lump.

The CGS adjustable rig is a nice example of non-BGE accessories that hit the mark. Not cheap. But good quality and much variation. Customer delight.

The kamado grill being sold at the local Costco, although I don't like the grill itself as much as the Egg, it has what appears to be a pretty nice array of internal accessories (INCLUDED).

In many industries the philosophy is to sell you the main system (i.e. the 'grill') at cost, or sometimes even a loss, so that they can sell you the accessories that go with it, which is where they're really going to make their money. BGE does not seem too interested in that.

And. You would think that BGE would offer not only size options but say three equipment options like you typically see on cars, a basic (what you see today), a well equipped (say a nest, an AR, temp probe) and a luxury model (well equipped + BBQ guru, temp probes, wi-fi capability, etc.). They miss the high-enders who would point at a luxury model and say "deliver it" ready to go.

(This has been an unpaid service announcement for the improvement of BGE accessories targeted at the BGE to step it up.)

Back to my coffee .....

Comments

• frankie482
    frankie482 Posts: 263
    Amen on the accessories.
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    The issue is the distributed dealer model BGE uses. I'm sure a large portion of their dealers would balk at having to invest more money for stock to offer different levels for each size egg. The reason I bought from the dealer I did was he offered the best package for the price. However I agree with you, change with the times or perish.

I used BGE lump for the last year and a half, and on a reccomendation from a neighbor ( also an egger) I switched to Nature Glo and save $12 a bag for the same size.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Thanks for the kind remarks on the adjustable rig. 

Early on in cgs's development, I had very preliminary discussions with folks at bge corp.  Never really could get things going, so just continued with cgs's development.  The fella that brought guru into bge couple years ago and kept a pulse on eggland is no longer around at corp.  Not really sure about the who, what or hows today on bge accessories.......

t   
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • I like the fact that Tom and others have taken on the after market part of the business. You have people who think nothing else but building cool stuff for the egg instead of thinking of it through the lens of "egg first accessories second". The aftermarket guys are "accessories first" and it shows in their ingenuity and craftsmanship. I could care less if I buy it from BGE or Tom or whoever. If it's the best, it's the best and I'll buy it there
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Great point OP.  Until I joined this forum about three weeks ago, I didn't even know these things existed.  I've bought a DigiQ, and the new PSWoo3 just arrived yesterday.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    thanks CT and Dboy

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.