Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guru Golf Club Starter

Bygdawg1996
Bygdawg1996 Posts: 4
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I got my XLEgg 2mths ago and just purchased a Guru GolfClub.  It works ok I am just not sold on it as being the fastest and best way to light the fire.  What recommendations do you all have and what might help me get the fire up and going faster. It currently takes about 30-45 min to get the fire stable and even for cooking, is that good for the XL?

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I just use the old fashion electric coil.  I have an outlet right next to my table, so I just plug it in and in a max of ten minutes there is always plenty of flame.  I then use my ash tool and spread the coals around and close lid with vents wide open.  
  • spotco2
    spotco2 Posts: 61
    I just roll up a paper towel and pour some olive or veg oil on it. Put it in the center of the pit and stack thin stuff around it. Light the paper towel and let your Boy Scouts skills take over.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Mapp torch in a few spots and I can be good and hot in 15 minutes....by 30, I'm nuclear with flames coming out the top if I let it go with vents open.
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    30 - 45 min... that's just more beer time!!
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I've got a weed burner for my hot cooks. Been using the same tank for over a year between my webers and my egg. Still haven't kicked it yet. the mapp torch is good, but you need to buy one that has a hose between the tank and the nozzle because the torches aren't meant to run upside down without flaring up.

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    I have just been using the big green egg starters that come 24 in a pack. I actually break them in half sometimes. If cooking steak, I will break into 4 pieces and spread throughout the pile of lump. Light and leave lid open with bottom vent open and next thing you know its ready in 10mins. Low and slow, only one in thd middle with thin stuff stacked around it and in 10mins im ready to go. They have worked well, but I still have to wonder about other methods just out of plain curiosity.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited May 2012

Rutland starters are pretty much the same as BGE.

http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-50B-Prod-Firestarter/dp/B00138MO16

144 cubes for $15 ... so this box lasts me about 2 years of egging 3 or 4 times a week. I use 2 x 1/4 cube to start my XL, and a single 1/4 cube for the small.  Open dome, drop cube, hit it with a lighter for few seconds and walk away for 10 minutes.  Torches and weedburners seemed like fun until I realized I did not want to stand there lighting my egg for even 30 seconds when I could just light a cube and walk away.

• Zip solid fuel lighters. 15 minutes and ready to go- even for high heat.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    I am using the Guru GolfClub as well (and have been for the last two years). yes it is not the best solution out there (the tube connection comes off all the time, the plastic tube can bend to a degree that stops the flow). But I am too lazy to change and it allows me to -start from the bottom of the charcoal pile- which I strongly believe is the right way to start a fire. 
  • Thank You for all of the advice!  I will prob try some of the firestarters to see if they help on the start time 

Thanks Again!!