Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is this? How do I get rid of it?

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I can't post pics from iPhone but it's black, sticky, tar like substance. It's on my DW and makes it hard to move. It has also started to drop from out top of egg and down the dome.
I got a little on hand was a pain to wash off.

Any ideas? How to get rid of and how to prevent?
Boom

Comments

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    Just light a good hot fire and let it run for a while.  I have even put my daisy wheel in the egg for the self cleaning.  If you do a lot of low and slow cooks with a fattier type of meat, it will happen.  

A good hot fire every now and then will take care of it.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    I would take it apart and put it on the cooking grate with a hot fire beneath.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Put your DW on the grate after each cook. That will keep it clean. Some people drop it right into the coals to burn everything off and then wipe it down in oil.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    After a cook is finished, take the daisy off, and put it on the grate. Put the rain cap on and close the bottom. As the fire burns out, the gunk will dry out. When it builds up enough, it will easily scrape off. Till then, it makes for a better seal.

And I believe its called black, sticky, tar stuff.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    After a cook is finished, take the daisy off, and put it on the grate. Put the rain cap on and close the bottom. As the fire burns out, the gunk will dry out. When it builds up enough, it will easily scrape off. Till then, it makes for a better seal.

And I believe its called black, sticky, tar stuff.

. Ha I figure there was a technical name
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Thanks for response everyone. I'll start putting in grill once I remove food.

And most if my cooks are fatty or greasy and in 250-325 range. And I use a ton of wood chips for almost everything.
    Boom
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks for response everyone. I'll start putting in grill once I remove food.

And most if my cooks are fatty or greasy and in 250-325 range. And I use a ton of wood chips for almost everything.
    Yep, heat will get it all cleaned out. It's normal

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • chogg
    chogg Posts: 30
    Options

speaking of wierd stuff...my egg got stuck in the rain after i moved and when i used it..it began to weep all over...I whiped it up and I think it was just tar build up that actually came threw the ceramic

what do you guys think ?

IF YOUR LOOKING YOUR NOT COOKING ..My Dog Likes it !!! C.Hogg....Shack Rag...GA.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options

speaking of wierd stuff...my egg got stuck in the rain after i moved and when i used it..it began to weep all over...I whiped it up and I think it was just tar build up that actually came threw the ceramic

what do you guys think ?

It's Egg snot, caused by grease build up in the ceramic. Since the glazing on the exterior of the Egg crazes (gets tons of tiny cracks in it), it'll weep out, once there's enough moisture and heat to push the grease out through the exterior. 

Check out this thread, for what a bad case looks like:
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

ShedFarm,

That's good Egg lore to know.  I wonder if I will avoid it due to the fact that I fire mine up almost every day, and that keeps the ceramics dry.

FOFBs - if your DW get grunchy looking spray it with Pam before putting it over the heat.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys