Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

scientific pic post test

Options
RichardBronosky
RichardBronosky Posts: 213
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Please don't reply to this thread until after I reply to it myself.

My plan is to attach a photo (not link to one) and then have my server log requests to this post every 15 seconds and check for an "Image Thumbnail". This is how I will do it:
while true; do date; curl -s http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/[number_goes_here] | grep -E 'ImageThumbnail|id="Comment_'; sleep 15; done | tee -a test.log

We know that replying to a post will make the photos show up, but this will test if they show up on their own after a certain amount of time.
I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012

Comments

• RichardBronosky
    Options
    So strange. The photo was there immediately. I don't know what Vanilla is doing when the photos fail to show up.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited May 2012
    Options
    is it me, or does anyone else find it somewhat useless that most pics are being uploaded in a way where they each need to be clicked on to be viewed at any decent resolution?

your pic above is 484x645 pixels, yet displays as 96x128 unless you click on it

when someone posts a decent number of pics, it becomes a click-fest.

and apparently it's taking photos a while to upload for some.  it might be that people are uploading at comparatively huge resolutions. i see some pics here that are thousands of pixels wide. this one of yours may have loaded quickly because it simply wasn't huge (it's only 108k)

in my case, i have my pics hosted at photobucket, and they are sized 600 pixels wide, are maybe 300k max.  i upload them using PB's 'direct' link, they show instantly, and they display at full resolution.

here's one uploaded by the 'direct' link (using the little photograph icon on the comment box):

source file is 600x800 pixels and displays (on my end) at 600x800 pixels, 199k)

here is the same pic at the SAME resolution right-click copied and then pasted directly into the window :
    05_tied-and-ready-to-go.jpg

here is the same 600x800 pic uploaded using the "attach a file"  link below the comment box:

and here is the ORIGINAL 2048x1536 photo uploaded also by 'attaching a file'

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited May 2012
    Options
    i can also directly paste the huge 2000+ pixel pix into comment box, but it says "body required' and refuses to post

far better to copy-paste RESIZED (meaning, not giant) pics directly into the comment box, OR to upload them by using this button and a direct link (pics hosted at picasa, photobucket, etc.)

here's the link to use on photobucket
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I agree, it's a pain to have to click on every pic. I still think you did a great job on the dining room BTW

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RichardBronosky
    Options
    If you link images they are always instantly available. The only time there has ever been a delay is when people attach them using the "Attach a file" link under the editor box. However, as I just learned, it seems that there is not always a delay.I could try a full res photo. I just don't want to create a new thread because there is no option to delete a thread.