Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drumfish Ribs

Options
Spin
Spin Posts: 1,375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,[p]My appologies to everyone for this post as drumfish is local to the Delaware Bay (black drum) and Chesapeake Bay (red drum) only for a very short period of time each spring and is thus not a commonly available meal. Drum fish are a deepwater saltwater fish that come into these bays to spawn and are available for about one moon cycle each year. The meat is delicious and very versatile.[p]I have fished for, cleaned, and enjoyed the steaks from these beasts for many years. I have just learned that the ribs are great BBQ'd. The best description I have of how to do them is "on the grill with your favorite sauce". I am looking for ideas.[p]My appeal is sincere. I have obtained the last of the drumfish ribs for this year (they are leaving the bay). I do not wish to use these for blind learning as the supply is limited. I do heartily welcome email. Thanks a bunch.[p]Spin[p]

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Spin,
    Never heard of drum fish ribs -- and I ain't too far weat of ya. I have heard of drum - big fish, right? How big are these ribs? Sounds intersting.[p]Tim

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Tim M,[p]The best description of the fish is a 4-5+' silver goldfish with a much wider mouth. They weigh from 50-85+ lbs (100+ lbs is possible). If you want to scale the fish you need a hoe.[p]I live in drumfish land and just heard about cooking the ribs (they DID make great fertilizer). The racks I have average 12" long and 4 1/2 - 5" tall. The bones are round, the size of a straw, and tamper to a point. They look very similiar to a baby back rack only tapering more and with no fat.[p]This looks like a very quick cook, even with low temps. Drum is a fish that takes quite readily to flavorings. A common method of cooking the steak is to do it parmesan.[p]Spin[p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Spin, what a throw back in time!
    I swear I had all but forgotten something until you mentioned drum fish...and I'll try to be delicate in my story. My "Gump" as I called my grandfather died when I was only nine years old, but from the age of four he would take me out fishing in his old metal flat bottom row boat at his beloved lake cottage in eastern Iowa. I was always told that I must be quiet or I'd scare the fish away. As we would sit there with my mouth "zipped" shut there would be these loud, long "druming sounds" from the boat and then Gump would whisper "a drum fish" and wink at me. Needless to say years later I realized that Gump was merely ripping "them off" and laughing internally all along! Thanks for the memory!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Spin,
    Well, Mobile Bay has black drum as well. Down there you can catch them in the summer under the channel-marking beacons. Makes for some hot fishing, though. I grew up fishing for these mosters in july and august with a long "calcutta" can pole (about 20 - 25 feet long), 50 pound test monfilament line a few shrimp on hook set under a cork. There's something special hooking a 20 pound fish on the outher end of a cane pole and not getting pulled off the boat.[p]Fond memories.[p]B~F[p]Hey, KOC, you ever done this?

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    Sorry -- I didn't even finish reading your post I got so exciting thinking about fishing. As for cooking these things -- we always cooked them with lemon, pepper and butter. and not that damn jarred lemon pepper stuff. Fresh squeezed lemon, real melted butter and fresh course cracked pepper. Should be great on the EGG! I would cook too low and slow -- the meat could pick up quite a bit of smoke. I'd try indirect at say 325. Basting every 10 minutes.[p]My mouth is watering and it's only 8:30. wow.[p]B~F