Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planking? What is? How to? Suggestions?

a.smack
a.smack Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased my new large yesterday. If I haven't been cooking or hanging out around it, I've been reading the post and searching for ideas. [p]I have read a couple of post on planking. Someone please explain.....[p]Thanks.[p]a.smack

Comments

• Rafterdude
    Rafterdude Posts: 39
    a.smack,
    Planking involves cooking fish or whatever on a ceder plank.
    The plank infuses the fish with flavor. Not an expert here so im gonna ask another question. Can you use the ceder boards that one can purchase at Lowes etc. If so, is the half inch board to thick? Btw the boards are untreated.

• BYC39
    BYC39 Posts: 94
    Rafterdude,[p]I bought a reusable cedar board last time I was in Seattle. Real heavy duty job with bolts for reassembly after cleaning...that baby really does the trick.[p]HEY....Speaking of cedar and XL BGE's Check this out[p]http://www.sauteecedar.com/contestwinnerspage.htm

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Rafterdude,
    I've only planked two things, pork chops and chicken breasts, so I'm sure no expert. But. The planks we bought are approx. 1/2 inch thick. I put the planks on the grill, direct, at 350 degrees, at the end of cooking time (40 to 60 minutes) they were starting to warp but had not begun to smolder.[p]From my understanding, the only "cardinal rule" of planking is to use untreated wood.[p]Ken

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    a.smack,[p]Check the other BGE board...there were two extensive planking threads yesterday!![p]Congrats on then BGE!![p]Chubby
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!