Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wow I love my egg - Where Have You Been All My Life - Am I Gonna Get Fat?

Stoater
Stoater Posts: 292
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Either I am going to end up 300lbs or it is healthier to eat on the egg, when my dealer dropped the egg off 2 days ago he said most people loose weight, is this true and if so what would be the reason, other than not eating out as much.  Hmm more time with the egg = more time with a beverage =  larger belly, argg its a vicious circle. 

Did chicken thighs skin on First night at 400-450 to try to break the gasket in, they were great nice crispy skin, did umami hamburgers last night at 500, they were great, got a little bit crispy on the underside as left on too long, tonight gonna try some steak and lamb chops as we are having sis in law over tomorrow night as its is her birthday and she is bringing filet mignon, so tonight will be a trial run, thought about cranking the grill up to 700 searing for a minute either side and then taking them off and lowering the temp to 450-500 to finish, would this be the way to go?  Any tips would be appreciated. Thermapen arrives midweek so cooking by time and visual/touch.

Oh and am I past the break in point for high temps? my gasket looks a little singed around the inner edge, is that normal.

Sorry for all the questions.

Pizza planned for sunday.

Cheers.

Comments

• Stoater
    Didn't want to hear that..Are all green eggers Fat?  Maybe I should change the title to what do you weigh!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Your gasket will be gone in a few weeks, break in or not. BGE will replace with a high temp nomex gasket if you call when it gets fried. Mine lasted about a month. The nomex is great and easy to install. IMHO, the gasket is the egg's only flaw. Go for the sear on the steaks. They are great that way. Pizzas are awesome on the egg. We have it at least 1 day/week.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cortguitarman
    You may lose weight. I did, but I was already losing. It will all depend on how you cook and how much you eat.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Stoater
    Thanks  I think we may start the pizza night once a week if they are as great as everyone says, and I am sure they are.
  • cortguitarman
    The key is the dough and setup. I'll post more later. I'm supposed to be working.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Stoater
    Yeah me too,

Cheers.
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    edited May 2012
    You will look like this.

Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    It's all up to you. Check out some of Doc's cooks.grilled veggies on the egg are your friend. 
    eat brisket or pulled pork butt every day for a few weeks, and well, see the pic above my post.  
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    You defined the major player in the weight movement exercise " Hmm more time with the egg = more time with a beverage"  So, depending on your consumption rate per time with the BGE will determine the trend...welcome.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Well just like all cooking it depends on what you cook, how much of it you eat, and what is in it. I would say cooking on the BGE is more fun and since it is you cook on it more so you have more control what you eat over going out to eat.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

We've eaten two meals prepared on the Eggs a day, almost every day, since December.  The spouse has lost 40 pounds, and I have lost 15.  My glucose went from 125 to 91.

We do a modest sized lean meat, and 50 to 75% veggies.  I do not believe we would have succeeded if we were cooking inside.  The taste of the meat and veggies prepared on the Eggs has saved us from burn out and diet failure.

I occasionally do pizza, but other than that, no bread.  I believe that is the significant change that helped me dodge diabetes.

The spouse is more disciplined about it, and got better results.  No sugar, bread, cheese, milk, or fatty meats.  We use almond milk, and I haven't tasted ham in 6 months.  But we really don't suffer for it.

I hate it when circumstances prevent me from Egging.  Doing my first stuffed pork loin tonight.  Pics to follow!

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    No need to gain weight. Doc E is an inspiration. Watch his posts. I too have lost weight since becoming an egger.
  • tazcrash
    BTW, just as an FYI, the egg still can cook without adult beverage consumption.  

or so I've heard. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Tax- infant seem to get mine lit without it. Maybe mine's defective? I dunno.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • *taz (autocorrect)
  • Good lord. I'm not even drinking and my posts look like a monkey in typing on this thing.
  • Stoater
    There is hope then, as small as it might be.  Although I don't think I could give up cheese and fatty meats completley. 

One of my sons is allergic to dairy so he drinks the old almond milk too, we do like to grill veggies though, asparagus, zucchini, eggplant, roasted peppers, mushrooms, parsnips, sweet potatoes, red onions, and loads of garlic, and potatoes.  And we eat a lot of herbs in sauces and salads.

I guess time will tell, have to have a weigh in after the first month.
  • tazcrash
    Tax- infant seem to get mine lit without it. Maybe mine's defective? I dunno.
    Wait, are we talking about getting us lit, or the egg? 
    (I'm sure the folks at BGE, and my mom would like to discourage the practice of combining the two. ;) )

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Stoater
    No adult beverages, stop swearing, ban that man administrator!
  • Taz- trying to stop eggers from imbibing at the egg would be like trying to stop the tides. You can "want to" all you want to but it ain't gonna happen. Not in this house anyway.
  • tazcrash
    edited May 2012
    Taz- trying to stop eggers from imbibing at the egg would be like trying to stop the tides. You can "want to" all you want to but it ain't gonna happen. Not in this house anyway.
    Not me. My mom, founding member of "MADE" (Mothers Against Drunk Egging). 

Besides, I hear it helps cut down on forum typos. LOL
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Taz- trying to stop eggers from imbibing at the egg would be like trying to stop the tides. You can "want to" all you want to but it ain't gonna happen. Not in this house anyway.
    I cannot cook without a glass of wine to help me find the muse :-)

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    No need to gain weight. Doc E is an inspiration. Watch his posts. I too have lost weight since becoming an egger.
    Thank you.  This is a great ploy to get spousal support in your Eggdiction.

• Stoater
    Nice 1 Hour till home time, the slavers are trippin me!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Thanks  I think we may start the pizza night once a week if they are as great as everyone says, and I am sure they are.
    Doesn't matter what you read, or what advice you get, pizza is not a slam dunk.  I screwed up about 4 (one of which was a disaster) before I began to get the hang of it.  My best advice is 1)  let everything, including the stone get to heat.  Don't over heat unless you have hours to kill, 2) use the dough maker's recommended temp.  Don't try high heat with a dough not meant for it, I have been using Publix brand, 3) don't overload, and if you like the meat crispy layer cheese so that it does not smother the meat, 4) and most important, use parchment and turn the pie frequently to even the cook.

• Stoater
    That is great advice thank you kindly, do you leave the pizza on the parchment on the stone?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    That is great advice thank you kindly, do you leave the pizza on the parchment on the stone?
    Some do, some don't.  I remove it after about 5 minutes.

• burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Doc E, I was cooking eggplant, yellow squash and lots more on my old gasser and it was good. Now with the egg it is good X 10. Keep us inspired.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I have lost 22lbs in about 2 months since having my egg. I do not think the egg was the sole reason, but has definitely contributed. I decided I want to lose weight before having the egg. Now that I have the egg I want to cook on it as often as I can, and that prevents fast food trips. I had never had skinless boneless bbq chicken breasts until my egg, and now I regularly have them hehe.