Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First WOK Cook of Chicken and Lemongrass

bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Not much for pics as it was my first time using my wok and I was trying not to burn anything over taking photos. I will tweek some and get more photos next time.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    That looks realy good!!!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Your table is solid.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Looks like a successful for run... and quite tasty too!
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • bigguy136
    Thanks all. I used a recipe from when I would stovetop it but I found the flavors were off. I think the heat is as important as what you are putting in it.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    The water running in the sink kinda rubs it in a little. I like it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    It looks good.  I also like the subtle touch of leaving your faucet on :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • bigguy136
    I did that because I already had my oil heating and if something went wrong or I burned myself, I had a quicker water supply to help. It was just running a garden hose on my lawn basically and if I needed the water, it was there.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Speaking of lawns, your lawn looks pretty dang awesome!  I wish I had grass in my backyard.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • bigguy136
    Speaking of lawns, your lawn looks pretty dang awesome!  I wish I had grass in my backyard.
    Thanks but it's for the stop, drop and roll after the wok fire.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Nice looking wok meal.  You have lemongrass in the name and am wondering if you used powdered for flavor  or there are some stalks hiding in the green peppers?
  • Richard Fl
    The lemongrass stalks add a nice flavor to soups also,
  • bigguy136
    I used stalks. I have them in with the chicken. Have you tried the powder? Any good?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Richard Fl
    I have a lemongrass bush in the back and when I need some I pull a stalk or two and just use the bottom 1-2 inches.  Mash like crushed garlic and chop fine.  Or just crush the stalk and add to soup for flavor, some like to eat them with the soup, I do not!
     Have used a lemongrass salt from Vietnam that is ok in a pinch for seasoning. "Muoi Sa" .
    Keep on wokking & wolling!
  • bigguy136
    What kind of temp does lemongrass need to grow?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Richard Fl
    I live in Florida and the lemon grass will survive  even in light freezing, but we only have a few freezes each year.  Send me an off line note and addy and will see what happens for your garden.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Nice looking cook, Bigguy, but I'd/we'd really like to see more pics of your table!  I'm designing a table to use with my Small right now, and if I may ask, what tool did you use to cut the circular hole in the tiles?  (I've never worked with tiles before, but want to use them on my top)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• bigguy136
    Thanks. I'm going to post more when my fridge comes in. Tracking says friday thru tue so maybe I'll have it for the weekend. The hole was using a string tied to a router to make the circle in the plywood then I used the hole to cut my tile. I rough cut the tile then glued them down and used a 4" grinder and cheap diamond blade to finish trim the tile to the plywood hole. Lots of dust and noise.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Sorry but I forgot to add that I used a 1/8" spacer between my tile. I would maybe do 1/16" next time. When I wipe the top down, it is a little hard to clean the joints because of the concave style of joint.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Thanks!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nice looking cook. I've seen lemongrass in recipes before, but never knew where to get it. never thought of growing it. Might need to look into that. Thanks for sharing.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bigguy136
    edited May 2012

I made it again tonight. I like it enough to post the recipe.

1lb skinless chicken breast cut into small pieces

3 stalks lemongrass (tender white part)

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon black ground pepper

2 teaspoons cornstarch

2 tablespoons fish sauce

4 tablespoons sesame oil

4-5 stalks table onions (shallots) diced

2 cloves garlic

1/4 cup water

2 tablespoons brown sugar

I mixed the lemongrass, cornstarch, sugar, pepper, 1 tablespoon of the fish sauce and 1 tablespoon of oil in a blender. I mixed that into the chicken and set aside (1 hour min).

Get the wok hot, add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, garlic and table onions till the garlic colors (30 seconds) add the chicken/ marinade mix. Cook till chicken is almost done (3-4 minutes), add remaining fish sauce, water and brown sugar. All will start to caramelize in a minute. Pull off and serve over rice.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Looks great, Kevin !  Also, your wok is coming along nicely with the seasoning.  Good job !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious