Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spraying apple juice/cider combo on pork butt?

Lostboy
Lostboy Posts: 9
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I know this is a popular method with brisket to get a better crust, I don't see it mentioned much (if at all) when doing a pork butt/shoulder?  Any reason?  I've done shoulder without it and it's still had a good bark, but wondering if spraying it down every 60-90 minutes or so would help that even more?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    dont know. have tried basting with a mop and it more or less washed some rub off and lessened the bark substantially on a butt. bark seems to be automatic in an egg without doing much at all
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I spray butts with just straight apple juice.  I think it helps add moisture, and also helps with the bark.  Once I pull it, I spray it with apple juice and throw in a handful of rub.  It sorta makes a sauce all of its own. 
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    I spray mine if I have the apple juice, have done both ways, regardless you'll get the bark as fishless indicates.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I cook mine for 8 hours without misting with applce cider vinegar and apple juice. Then, I mist every hour. As per a previous post, the stall is evaporative sweating. Like a human, the meat sweats and it cools it off. I am not sure if this is scientifically correct, but makes sense because when I mist with the mixture, the meat temp lowers every time but then climbs back up. I am not sure if it helps with moisture or not, but I do think it helps with the bark.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    I used to mop, spray, baste, and try anything to keep things moist on other cookers.  I haven't done any of that since I got the egg.  Depending on time I might foil.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • It does not help with moisture. Apple juice is loaded with sugar and caramelizes under heat. It's very popular in the SE part of the US as they like sweeter BBQ than those of us west of the Mississippi. It is a tried and true method for good crust with a sweeter flabor but you do not need it to get good crust on anything. Apple juice is a scourge upon good BBQ if you ask me, but I acknowledge it's popularity through clenched teeth.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Juju- all mops kill crust.
  • Sorry- fishless- mops kill crust.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    listen to cen tex.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    Sorry- fishless- mops kill crust.
    thats what i said,
    :))and the only time ive tried basting with a mop on a low and slow i did the butt direct over the fire and still lousy bark. best bark is always do nothing and leave the egg shut during the cook. i only use the mop on tritips now
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    that's what i thought you said.
    :)>-

the old lady at thwaite's died, btw (thread hijack)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Topfuel
    Topfuel Posts: 2
    I use Claude's Brisket sauce to keep it moist it's a killer
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    What is the proportion of apple juice vs 
    apple cider vinegar? I am going to try that on ribs tomorrow. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • fishlessman
    that's what i thought you said.
    :)>-

the old lady at thwaite's died, btw (thread hijack)
    i didnt see that, havent seen her in a month or two, nicest people over there
    fukahwee maine

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    sorry guys, mopping breaks a lot of bbqing rules. Do it if you'd like, but the wrong apple juice can leave an acrid taste. If you're looking you aint cooking! keep the lid closed, the eggs a moist environment. It's not necessary and doesn't do anything to build a good bark. Rub it properly and cook it til its done. Simpler the better, most bbq is best when following the K.I.S.S. method.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    If you're looking you aint cooking! keep the lid closed, the eggs a moist environment. It's not necessary and doesn't do anything to build a good bark. Rub it properly and cook it til its done. Simpler the better, most bbq is best when following the K.I.S.S. method.
    Exactly...
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    sorry guys, mopping breaks a lot of bbqing rules. Do it if you'd like, but the wrong apple juice can leave an acrid taste. If you're looking you aint cooking! keep the lid closed, the eggs a moist environment. It's not necessary and doesn't do anything to build a good bark. Rub it properly and cook it til its done. Simpler the better, most bbq is best when following the K.I.S.S. method.
    Pretty much my stance after a year and a half with the xl. Stick a thermoprobe in it , close the lid and let it cook. If I have to look , use a flashlight from the top.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    mountaindewbass, when apple juice evaporates, the water in the juice is evaporating.  The sugar remains in the drip pan.
    The Naked Whiz