Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bge lump v.s other brands

Jrod72
Jrod72 Posts: 67
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I ran out of the big green egg lump charcoal and bought some Walmart brand in emergency cook! I don't know about you guys but that stuff went up like wild fire. Hot, hot, hot. Even after shutting the egg down it ran 400 temp. The package says all hardwood but there's no way. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is on this subject.

Comments

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Lump brands are widely debated all the time...my experience has been very good with any of the Royal Oak brand names - which BGE brand is made by Royal Oak.  My local butcher sells Nature Glo made by Royal Oak and it is always consistent for me.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Dispite what BGE dealers will tell you BGE brand lump isnt the best lol. Google Naked Whiz charcoal reviews.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    One thing I have noticed about BGE brand is that it has an exceptionally low amount of ash that it produces or at least it sure seems that way.  I can burn a whole bag of that and only clean it out once or twice.  Other than that I agree - I don't think its worth the premium price. 
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    I've never used or seen Walmart brand lump.  I agree with others about RO. 
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Fair warning... your question, while valid and simple enough, is tantamount to asking a mixed group to debate their religion.  Best of luck!  :))  I would answer, but I cant stand the pain.  :)
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    The only lump I have seen at walmart is Royal Oak, it is not a wal mart brand. It is good coal. I have a bag of cowboy from ace hardware, and will be getting a bag of whatever the hell sams club sells because it is 40# for less than $20. Wich is by far the best price on all lump, it has mixed reviews, but we wont know until we form our own opinion on it.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

The only lump I have seen at walmart is Royal Oak, it is not a wal mart brand. It is good coal. I have a bag of cowboy from ace hardware, and will be getting a bag of whatever the hell sams club sells because it is 40# for less than $20. Wich is by far the best price on all lump, it has mixed reviews, but we wont know until we form our own opinion on it.

Jason,

Shoot up to Port Huron, go over to Sarnia to a Home Hardware and get some Maple Leaf

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Read the naked whiz reviews. See whats available in your area, and try them all. Egg Juju couldn't have said it better but since you asked.......I like Natures Own, and Ozark Oak the best so far. I just opened a bag of Wicked Good Weekend Warrior blend (2 cooks) and I'm very sure it great stuff as well. Good luck.
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    Thanks to all.
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I recently bought a bag of lump at Whole Foods, their 365 label. I thought it was pretty good, nice size, easy to light, all good. I looked at Whiz's review and found it was made by cowboy which it not rated among the best. From my standpoint it was as good as any but maybe I just got a good bag.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    @burr_baby I had the same experience. Good lump, but it was pricey for that small bag. Almost a buck a pound.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Charcoal varies a lot from bag  to bag.  My standard charcoal used to be USA made Royal Oak purchased at WalMart.  When I did a long low and slow cook I used Wicked Good which is much more expensive but better (in my opinion) than Royal Oak for that type of cook.  I have now tried Humphrey's Charcoal and like it a lot for all types of cooks and the price is a little higher than RO, but much cheaper than Wicked Good.

Assuming your "Walmart Brand" is Royal Oak (USA made), then get another bag or 2 and give it a try.  Get it from another Walmart if possible.  If you can get Humphrey's be sure to give that a try.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    I use a mix of BGE and Wicked Good WW but recently got a  bag of John Henry's. Could not find it on The Whiz's site.Anyone used this before and,if so, opinion.I think JH is a Texas company so figured someone would know.Thanks.
  • smoorenc
    smoorenc Posts: 3
    I tried John Henry's lump and found it to be just OK. I wouldn't recommend or use again. The pieces are all very small and it doesn't last long. So far I have not found anything in my area (NC) better than Weekend Warrior.
  • When I picked up my Large in May, part of the package was two bags of BGE lump. I was helping the kid load my car up when I saw he had wicked good in the storage shed out back behind the store. I asked if i could switch out the BGE w the Wicked good and the kid said sure. I really think I got two bags that sucked up a lot of moisture in the shed all winter in the Northeast. I found the WG hard to get going and slow to heat up. I used some last week and it barely warmed up enough to cook some simple boneless chicken breasts. I was kinda po'ed about this and walked away and left the vent open. I came back an hour later and the thing was roaring. It was nobodys fault but mine that I elected to swap out the bags but I don't think I would get any WG again. The RO I have bought in bulk from Walmart (the big sale last April) has done me really well heated up nicely and not snapped, crackled and popped so much. When I go through my 3 remaining bags of RO I will probably order some from Firecraft. Thats my experience with it..  

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)