Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your favorite cut of meat for jerky?

Options
Wino
Wino Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got nothing to do on Sunday so I was thinking of doing some beef jerky. What is your favorite cut of meat for it?[p]Thanks Wino

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Wino,
    I think corn beef brisket works very well.[p]Jerry

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Wino,
    I like botttom round roast but next time, I'm trying eye of round roast.[p]Mike

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, That's my favorite cut for jerky also. So that's two votes for eye of round.

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Wino,
    I use London Broil.[p]Mike

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Wino,[p]find the LEANEST cut of beef you can find. Buffalo is the best IMO. Venison and elk would be strong runners but not easily available. Keeping the egg below 200 is difficult so i don't fight it, go indirect at as low a temp as i can usually 220 or so. It only takes about 3 hours. not traditional but very good.[p]Scott

• Unknown
    Options
    sigmore,
    you cut the eye of the round in rounds or lengheise?
    Hurry and gimme a basic recipe DUDE, im starving.......lol

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Chef Wil not Cher.......lol, Medallions.

• Wino
    Wino Posts: 69
    Options
    sigmore,
    Went with the eye of round. Getting ready to mix up some Gfw river city marinade.
    Sunday will be a great day to sit on the deck drink some cold ones and smell that jerky cook low and slow.
    Wino

• Unknown
    Options
    Wino,[p]I usually go with whatever cheap cut of lean looking meat stares back at me.[p]If brisket is inexpensive where you are, that can work well if you trim it.[p]If you can tell your meat counter guy that you want pectoral muscle without him going "huh?" that can be a great cut for jerky. It's close to the brisket, cow-ography wise, and should be very inexpensive.[p]I just finished off about 2 pounds (finished weight) of jerky from 3 weeks ago so I'm ready for another round myself.[p]Good eating,
    bc

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Wino,[p]The cut of meat is important, but the grade of meat is just as important, in my opinion. I like to Select grade for my jerky. It has almost no intramuscal fat (marbling). I use Select bottom round and it works well. The price of the meat is also very good.[p]Steve-B