Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

using a v-rack in the egg.

Options
tazcrash
tazcrash Posts: 1,852
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK, I get the purpose of a V-Rack in the oven to raise the meat over the pan so that you get heat everywhere, and it raises the meat out of the drippings. 
I'm trying to understand why you would need to do that for a roast in an egg (or any other grill for that matter). 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yep
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I use it every time I use a drip pan. It fits perfectly inside a 9.5x13.5" foil pan. This setup keeps the drip pan elevated and keeps the meat out of the drippings (or water if you do that in your drip pans)

• tazcrash
    Options
    OK, that's how I've used a v-rack in the past, and I get it. 
    If I wanted to use a pan, I just put the drip pan (raised) on the plate setter, then the grid, then the meat. 
    But I thought I saw pics where there's a v rack sitting on the grid with no drip pan, or a drip pan on the plate setter under a regular grid. That set-up just seems a bit redundant.
    Or I could be seeing things again. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    OK, that's how I've used a v-rack in the past, and I get it. 
    If I wanted to use a pan, I just put the drip pan (raised) on the plate setter, then the grid, then the meat. 
    But I thought I saw pics where there's a v rack sitting on the grid with no drip pan, or a drip pan on the plate setter under a regular grid. That set-up just seems a bit redundant.
    Or I could be seeing things again. 

I can't think of a use for a v rack (unless you are doing ribs) with no drip pan. I'm sure there is one out there but I've never done it

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    keeps chickens from splaying open.

i toss a chicken on it, without trussing.

also holds fatter roasts in shape without tying
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tazcrash
    Options
    OK. I figured there had to be something, and since I usually truss and tie, I wasn't seeing it.
    Thanks.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    keeps chickens from splaying open.

i toss a chicken on it, without trussing.

also holds fatter roasts in shape without tying
    That makes sense
  • stike
    Options
    i used to use them with butts simply because i could pick the thing up that way and roll it into a bowl.  trying to pick up a fully cooked butt without it falling apart hasn't always worked out for me that well.
    hahaha
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    i used to use them with butts simply because i could pick the thing up that way and roll it into a bowl.  trying to pick up a fully cooked butt without it falling apart hasn't always worked out for me that well.
    hahaha
    That's the way i do it too. Just dump it off into some foil

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Before I got my Wooo, to cook indirect I would put a pizza stone on the grate; set my V-rack on it, place a smaller grate from one of my other grills on the V-rack and the food on that grate.  Gave me a raised indirect set-up with just stuff I had lying around.  I had to exercise car if it needed to be flipped, just in case it stuck.  ;)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Thanks for the chicken idea. I use the v-rack for roasts and inverted for doing multiple rack of ribs.....never thought chicken
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i only use the vrack if i want to wash the vrack
    :))not happening
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    Why wash the v-rack if you dont wash the grid?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Why wash the v-rack if you dont wash the grid?
    good question for all that do wash the vrack, i bet most do.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    Hahahaha
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    I've used a v-rack for when I smoked a turkey breast - I couldn't get the thing to stand up properly, it kept wanting to fall to one side, and I didn't want that side to be overly charred while the opposing side might not get enough heat, so I just placed it in a v-rack & FORCED it to stand the way I wanted it to :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • tazcrash
    Options
    @HH, did you try telling it "Stay!" in a firm, and controlling voice?

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    @HH, did you try telling it "Stay!" in a firm, and controlling voice?

I tried, but it was having none of it - I guess you could say that it was being a real "turkey"!  :))
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • tazcrash
    Options
    :-S  <groan>

LOL
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!!