Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about pizza sauce

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to attempt to make Spin's NY style pizza sauce tonight
and cook a pizza from scratch on the egg. He specifically says I need some dry white wine, the kind you can drink. Anyone have a dry white wine cooking suggestion ? Not sure what to get, first attempt at making a sauce and don't want to deviate right off the bat with white wine vinegar.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Brill,
    Yes. The vinegar would be a bad idea. The wine adds just a subtle flavor and (while some purists might say it is unorthodox), some dry sherry might give it a nice effect. Or just omit it. I have settled on a very basic sauce that WooKitties taught me....just Italian canned plum tomatoes cooked down then some basil, a pinch of oregano and salt and pepper to taste. So simple, and it is the perfect sauce IMO.[p]Have fun...and keep the vinegar in the cabinet!
    Friday cold ones toya
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Nature Boy,
    Take that same sauce and cook it with some wine or better yet Vodka and you will be in business my friend.[p]Tomatoes have that funky thing that only reacts with Alkeehaul.[p]Beers and Cheers to ya for the weekend.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Chris:[p]The Princess makes a similar sauce with fresh paste type tomatoes, oregano and basil out of the garden, crushed garlic, salt, and pepper. When she is not looking I add a little wine. Depending on how long it cooks we have spaghetti sauce or a thicker sauce that works for pizza. We make this as the tomato harvest come in and can a lot for future use.[p]Friday afternoon Buds to you!
  • Brill,
    This is from Bambi re Pizza or any tomato-based sauce--as taught to me by my Italian husband's family back East:
    ALWAYS add a pinch --and I mean just a pinch-- of baking soda to tomato sauce. It is alkaline, of course, and as such erases the canned, tinny flavor that comes from canned tomatoes of any sort and balances the acid in tomatoes, even fresh ones very nicely. Try it--it was an epiphany once I started doing it. How much? An 1/8 teaspoon per quart (4 cups) sauce. That means 1/2 teaspoon PER GALLON. Better to use too little than too much. Won't hurt you no matter what, but you don't want to offset the natural tartness of tomatoes and you won't in those tiny amts. It also helps tremendously if you lean toward the acid-reflux or heartburn set. Cheers!

• christina hurn,
    Thanks !
    I wll try it for sure.

• Nature Boy,
    That sounds pretty good and almost idiot proof, so
    right up my alley. Yes, it is almost quittin' time here
    on the east coast. I can almost taste the first cold one
    of the weekend...

• Brill,
    Here's a simple no-cook pizza sauce: take a 28 can of crushed tomatoes, dump in a strainer and let it drain, then put it in a bowl; add some oregno, some garlic, some basil if you want, and a tablespoon of lemon juice. I believe the lemon juice idea came from "American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza" by Peter Reinhart. It brightens the tomatoe flavor; works for us. This should be enough for two pizzas on the bge. Enjoy.

• Brill, Dry wine = little residual sugars.
    Sauvignon Blanc
    Viognier
    Chardonnay
    Pinot Gris[p]All easy to consume (some have high acids though).[p]Good luck

• OOPs -- Should be 28 ounce can
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Brill,
    I'll be the first to admit I am not a professional cook, nor do I have the best sauce; I have had better. BUT, I do get a lot of compliments on the sauces I have used and shared with guests. I have made homemade and used Jar sauce.[p]For a good selection of homemade sauces, try the link below to PizzaMaking.com[p]For jar sauces, I have found the Barilla brand with cheese to be our personal favorite on pizza.[p]I hope this helps. - Banker John

[ul][li]http://www.pizzamaking.com[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Brill,
    I've been making Spin's sauce for four years now - and actually do it in triple batches and freeze individual packages. While I have tweaked a bit to suit our tastes it has remainded realatively true to Spin's recipe - however note the recipe mentions no salt and personally it is flat without it so I add 1 teaspoon per triple batch. I also add about 30 grinds of fresh pepper too. Be use to taste near the end for salt as I always add several more solid dashes of California style salt to reach "just the right taste"!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP,
    What is "California style salt" ?

• RRP
    HML, it's pretty common at least around here and it's essentially a garlic salt with herbs and spices added. Most of the large spice mfg have it and even the chains carry their private label. To look at it you can see the green of parsley, the white of table salt and the yellow of garlic powder. If I listed the ingredients then I probably wouldn't use it anymore and I use it too much so forgive me for just saying "other stuff too"...

• Eggvis
    Eggvis Posts: 94
    RRP,[p]But What wine do you use?
  • RRP
    Eggvis,
    Chardonnay works for me

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Brill,
    HML offered some good suggestions for some drey white wines; some of them are drier than the others but any of them will work. As to using one that you can also drink, any would do that he suggested. However remeber that a lot of wine drinkers "talk dry, but drink sweet", therefore when they drink a dry wine, they don't like it.
    Hammer